Focus on Finance
- Claremont rulings are like a fast-food menu. Mosca, Ed // New Hampshire Business Review;9/15/2006, Vol. 28 Issue 20, p26
The article comments on the contention of the New Hampshire Supreme Court in its public education decision in Claremont. The contention that deferred to the representative branches regarding the substantive content of a constitutionally adequate public education is conceived to be a senseless...
- Public Values and Public School Policy in the 1980s. Timar, Thomas B.; Guthrie, James W. // Educational Leadership;Nov80, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p112
Discusses public values and public school policy in the 1980s. Information on the values of equality, efficiency and liberty in education; Solution to policy conflicts; Issues in education finance.
- Kentucky Forms State Foundation For Public Schools. // Education Week;5/2/1984, Vol. 3 Issue 32, p3
The article reports on the decision of the state of Kentucky to launch an education foundation that will raise funds from state and local businesses to support and enrich education in the state. The funds that the foundation will provide for the state's elementary and secondary schools are...
- High court rejects Pataki 8th-grade ed standard. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;7/3/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 27, p1
It has been precisely a week since New York's highest court threw out the decades-old formula used to fund public schools in the state and ordered that a more satisfactory plan be put in its place. But jubilation over the landmark decision has not subsided and continues to reverberate across the...
- Back to school. // East Bernard Express (TX);8/3/2006, Vol. 63 Issue 32, pA4
The article focuses on the deliberations over funding for public school in the state of Texas. The deliberations are participated by school administrators, trustees and taxpayers.
- Long unanswered, same school-funding questions are still being asked. Jacobson, Alf // New Hampshire Business Review;12/14/2001, Vol. 23 Issue 26, p11
Tackles the issues concerning public school funding in New Hampshire. Debate over state-funded education; Proposed bill on fund-raising to fund public education; Problems with the structure of the education budget.
- New Money in Mass. Sparks Heated Local Bickering. Diegmudller, Karen // Education Week;9/9/1992, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p26
The article reports on the arguments among Massachusetts lawmakers about how the funds allocated for public schools should be spent and who should decide. Local officials are worried over the legislature's decision to give directly to the schools a total of 84.4 million dollars in payments of...
- Texas Tax Commission to Weigh in on School Funding Options. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/17/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32341, p36
The article reports on the funding options that the Texas Tax Commission develops to support state education. The state Supreme Court has ordered the reduction of its reliance on local property taxes to fund public education due to the decrease in property tax rates by one-third. According to...
- Uncle Sam Faces a Crisis in Education. Zook, George F. // Congressional Digest;Feb34, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p40
The article focuses on crisis in education prevailing in the U.S. as of February 1934. Schools in the U.S. are commonly supported by a tax on land because when public schools were first organized land was the most convenient index to the capacity of individual citizens to share in the...