Section 8. Nuclear energy
Tags: NUCLEAR industry
- Bomb potential for South America. Albright, D. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;May1989, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p16
Report that Argentina and Brazil could soon develop the capability to produce nuclear explosive materials free of international restrictions. Once this happens, technological momentum and political pressure may lead them to produce highly enriched uranium and eventually nuclear weapons. INSET:...
- Is Dick Durbin about to nuke Illinois voters? Merrion, Paul // Crain's Chicago Business;06/09/97, Vol. 20 Issue 23, p11
Opinion. Looks at the issues of the nuclear industry in the United States. Opposition of temporary nuclear storage sites by Senator Richard Durbin; Similar bill co-sponsored in 1996; Information on the 1997 bill passed by Senate; Reference to a temporary nuclear site in Nevada.
- A new nuclear scam-""safe nukes" Franklin, Karen // Environmental Action;Nov/Dec1989, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p14
No abstract available.
- Section 8. Nuclear energy. // Monthly Energy Review;Apr97, p103
Provides charts about nuclear energy in the United States. Nuclear power plant operations; Operable units; Nuclear electricity net generation; Nuclear portion of domestic electricity net generation; Net summer capability of operable units; Nuclear generating units; Capacity factor.
- Nuclear power in the 1990s: Ready for the competitive challenge. Colvin, Joe F. // Power;Jun96, Vol. 140 Issue 6, p34
Reports on the competitive challenges facing the nuclear power industry of the United States. Measures undertaken by the industry to improve economic performance; Sustenance of steady improvements in output efficiency; Issue on production costs.
- '94 performance, safety and reliability indicators continue positive trend: Capacity factor now... Kuehn, Steven E. // Power Engineering;Jul95, Vol. 99 Issue 7, p18
Reports on the performance levels and safety and reliability indicators of the nuclear power industry of the United States. Advantage of the trend toward shorter refueling outages; 1995 goals surpassed by nuclear power industry based on the findings of the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations;...
- Refueling-outage cuts boost competitiveness. Chambers, Ann // Power Engineering;Dec95, Vol. 99 Issue 12, p8
Reports on the effect of attempts made by nuclear power facilities in the United States to reduce their refueling outages. Reasons for reducing outages; Statistics on refueling outages from January to June 1995 from the `Nuclear Energy Insight' newsletter.
- Nuclear deal shows shifting US-EU ties. Walker, Ruth // Christian Science Monitor;3/11/96, Vol. 88 Issue 72, p6
Discusses the agreement between the United States and Europe on nuclear trade. Shift towards Europe in the transatlantic balance of power; Provisions of the bill; Broad coalition of non-proliferation advocates who oppose the agreement; Key questions surrounding the issue of European nuclear trade.
- A power industry with problems. // Modern Power Systems;Oct95, Vol. 15 Issue 10, p31
Focuses on problems faced by the worldwide nuclear power industry. Possibilities for extinction, survival or prosperity; Climate conservation case; Argument about nuclear fuel; Laser enrichment.