Licorice Consumption Causing Severe Hypokalemic Paralysis
- Cardiac arrest due to liquorice-induced hypokalaemia. // British Medical Journal;9/17/1977, Vol. 2 Issue 6089, p738
Examines the cardiac arrest due to liquorice-induced hypokaleamia. Provocation of liquorice to cause sodium retention with oedema and hypertension; Association of hypokalaemia to muscle weakness; Account glychirrhizinic acid fraction to effects of liquorice; Experience of cardiac arrest.
- Sweet soother: The skin-saving powers of licorice. Begoun, Paula // Self;Jun98, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p64
Presents information on the use of licorice extract in cosmetic products. Benefits of using this extract; Quest for ingredients that will reduce inflammation and irritation by the cosmetics industry; Comments from David J. Morris, professor of pathology at Brown University.
- Flavor enhancers from licorice root. McCue, Nancy // Prepared Foods;Aug95, Vol. 164 Issue 9, p109
Features Mafco Worldwide Corp.'s Magnasweet flavor enhancers derived from the roots of the licorice plant. Applications; Flavor enhancement; Making of off-flavors.
- Too much of a good thing. Lawrence, S.H. // Cortlandt Forum;01/25/98, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p60
Recounts the author's experience of treating a patient suffering from bilateral edema of the ankles. Patient's attitude at the start of consultation; Results of physical examination; Effects of eating a considerable amount of licorice everyday.
- Four Worrisome Chinese Herbs. Sperber, Greg // Oriental Medicine;2009, p5
The article refers to the author's evidence-based research on drug-herb interactions and discusses four herbs that have the potential to cause adverse reactions including ephedra, St. John's wort, and licorice.
- Panda Cherry Licorice. // Candy Industry;Aug2009 Supplement, Vol. 174, p6
The article evaluates the Panda Cherry Licorice from Panda.
- Addictions. Fishman, Ted C.; Browne, Alix // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Nov98, Vol. 68 Issue 11, p106
Opinion. Discusses the motives behind the author's insistence that his children be cared for by northern-European au pairs. Details on the author's love of licorice; Description of the taste of real licorice; Reference to the licorice plant.
- MAD ABOUT CHEW. Perez, Sofia // Gourmet;Dec2004, Vol. 64 Issue 12, p80
Focuses on Licorice International, a website and candy store based in Lincoln, Nebraska. Features of the website; Licorice products available from the web site.
- All-Natural Licorice Is a Fat-Free Snack. // Today's Dietitian;Sep2010, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p60
The article offers brief information on Panda All Natural Licorice snacks from Internatural Food LLC.