IRS Grills Firms About Pooled Bonds
- ABA Panel Seeks Revisions, Clarifications in Issue Price Rules. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;1/7/2016, Vol. 1 Issue 34440, p1
A group of lawyers is urging tax regulators to make some revisions and clarifications to proposed issue price rules to avoid confusion and make the rules more workable.
- Issuers' support wanes for IRS right of appeal provision. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;06/08/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30409, p1
Reports that bond issuers' support is decreasing for legislation designed to grant them the right to appeal an Internal Revenue Service determination when bonds are taxable in the United States. Description of the provisions contained in the House and Senate versions of the bill; Impact of the...
- Issuers Who Draw Down Get Favorable IRS Ruling. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;11/27/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31272, p5
Reports that a recent ruling by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service may help issuers that 'draw down' their bond proceeds in several installments. Provisions under the ruling; Requirements for prematurely issuance of bonds; Impact of the ruling on issuers.
- Tax-exempts gain focus. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;04/21/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30624, p1
Highlights a preliminary blueprint for the reorganization of the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) which would give more focus on tax-exempt bonds. Establishment of a tax-exempt operating division; Significant increase in the number of people and agents that would focus solely on bonds.
- Stand Back From the Edge. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;05/10/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31136, p1
Reports the warning issued by an Internal Revenue Service official against buying bonds from aggressive deals in Las Vegas, Nevada. Implications for institutional investors and municipal market buyers; Issuance of audit letters; Reaction from National Federation of Municipal Analysts on audit...
- Lawyers Doubt IRS Will Target Non-Settlement Deals. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;04/11/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30868, p4
Reports that bond lawyers are skeptical that the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will launch an auditing effort of issuers that are not covered by federal yield-burning settlements. Issues that IRS might prioritize; Comments of Charles Anderson, the IRS manager of field operations...
- Tax Law Logjam Could End. Duff, Susanna // Bond Buyer;1/3/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31545, p1
Reports on tax legislations including municipal bond provisions that are likely to be introduced in 2003 by the Republican government in the U.S. Expectation of The Bond Market Association from the proposal; Implications of a proposal to abolish corporate alternative minimum tax for taxpayers;...
- Market Eyes Streamlined VCAP System. Schroeder, Peter // Bond Buyer;6/12/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32898, p1
The article reports that the U.S. municipal bond market has asked the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to make a streamlined version of its voluntary closing agreement program (VCAP). The Streamlined Closing Agreement Program (SCAP) will allow issuers to pay penalties for minor tax law and rule...
- IRS Auditing Syracuse 'Green' Bonds. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;4/18/2011, Vol. 376 Issue 33501, p1
The article reports on the move of the Internal Revenue Service to audit the 228.1 million dollars of green bonds issued by the Seracuse, N.Y. Industrial Development Agency (SIDA). It states that the move to audit is made to determine if they violated tax laws. Pyramid Cos., notes that all the...