New York's Estuaries
- Spit development in the Mdloti River estuary, KwaZulu-Natal. Garden, S. E.; Garland, G. G. // South African Journal of Geology;Jun2005, Vol. 108 Issue 2, p257
Although the importance of estuaries as ecological, geomorphological and sedimentological systems is well recognised and a number of estuarine classification schemes are referred to in literature, geomorphological behaviour of small estuaries such as those on the KwaZulu-Natal coast are not well...
- esÂ·tuÂ·arÂ·y. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p121
A definition of the term "estuary" is presented. It refers to the wide lower course of a river where it flows into the sea. An estuary is also an arm of the sea that extends, inland to meet the mouth of a river.
- firth. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p130
A definition of the term "firth" is presented. It refers to a long narrow inlet of the sea, usually the lower part of an estuary.
- Distribution of particulate, colloidal, and dissolved mercury in San Francisco Bay estuary. 2. Monomethyl mercury. Key-Young Choe; Gill, Gary A. // Limnology & Oceanography;Jul2003, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p1547
Presents a study which determined the phase speciation and estuarine behavior of monomethyl mercury (MeHg) in surface waters of the San Francisco Bay estuary. Background of studies on MeHg; Materials and methods used; Measurement of the concentration of MeHg; Relationship between MeHg and...
- Editorial to the first PECS'02 special issue of Ocean Dynamics. Burchard, Hans; Grabemann, Iris; Kappenberg, Jens; Wolff, J�rg-Olaf // Ocean Dynamics;Sep2003, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p109
Introduces several articles presented at the 11th International Biennial Conference on Physics of Estuaries and Coastal Seas (PECS'02) held in Hamburg, Germany on September 17-20, 2002. Major objectives of the PECS conferences; Topics discussed at the conference.
- PCB composition in flood material and sediments from the Guadiana River estuary. Martins, Marta; Ferreira, Ana Maria; Vale, Carlos // Ciencias Marinas;may2005, Vol. 31 Issue 1B, p285
Coarse material and freshly deposited particles transported by the exceptional flood of January 2001 were sampled at eight sites along the Guadiana River and estuarine shorelines. Two months after moderate river flows, we collected 27 surface sediments from the river-estuarine system and one...
- FenÃ³menos de diluciÃ³n y autodepuraciÃ³n de un vertido de aguas residuales urbanas en un ecosistema litoral: El caso del estuario del RÃo Iro (suroeste de EspaÃ±a). Acevedo-Merino, A.; Garrido-Pérez, C.; Nebot-Sanz, E.; Sales-Márquez, D. // Ciencias Marinas;may2005, Vol. 31 Issue 1B, p221
Dilution and autodepuration processes in an estuary of strong tidal regimen affected by sewage from a wastewater treatment plant have been studied and identified. To differentiate between both processes, three evaluations were made during different seasons. Two tests were developed in parallel...
- Competition for feeding in waders: a case study in an estuary of south temperate Europe (Mondego, Portugal). Santos, Tiago Múrias; Cabral, João Alexandre; Lopes, Ricardo Jorge; Pardal, Miguel; Marques, João Carlos; Goss-Custard, John // Hydrobiologia;Aug2005, Vol. 544 Issue 1-3, p155
The loss of feeding areas may pose a threat to many wintering waders because increased competition arising from reduced foraging space may force birds either to emigrate or to die. This has been demonstrated to occur in northwest European estuaries, but virtually no studies have been performed...
- Relationships among Water-Quality Parameters from the North Inlet-Winyah Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, South Carolina. Buzzelli, Christopher; Akman, Olcay; Buck, Tracy; Koepfler, Eric; Morris, James; Lewitus, Alan // Journal of Coastal Research;Fall2004 Special Issue 45, Vol. 20, p59
Estuaries integrate atmospheric, watershed, oceanic, and human influences over space and time. Therefore, spatial and temporal patterns in estuarine water-column properties are useful as metrics to evaluate external factors related to internal processes. The National Estuarine Research Reserve...