Navy League Confronts Cold War Challenges
- Strategy and Submarine. // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Feb2014, Vol. 140 Issue 2, p9
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article of author W.J. Holland in the December 2013 issue about the use of antisubmarine warfare by the naval fleet during the Cold War.
- Retired Navy officer recalls Cold War spying. Slaton, Russell // Malakoff News (TX);5/29/2015, Vol. 106 Issue 22, p12
The article reports on the discussion given by retired U.S. Navy Captain Art Hall regarding his involvement in naval intelligence during the time of Cold War in a weekly luncheon of the Malakoff Rotary Club held at the Flagg House in Malakoff, Texas on May 26, 2015.
- Beneath the Waves. Polmar, Norman // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jun2012, Vol. 138 Issue 6, p88
The article reports that during the Cold War, the submarine force of the Soviet Union was a major factor in the political-military confrontation between the Soviet Union and the U.S. It states that the Russian Navy now owns over 60 submarines, and most of them are not fully operational, due to...
- Letter. O'Rourke, William M. (Mike); Farquhar, John // Air Power History;Spring2016, Vol. 63 Issue 1, p61
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the articles published in the issue on the Aerial Recon in the early Cold War period.
- Workers of the world unite? MacShane, Denis // History Today;Sep90, Vol. 40 Issue 9, p5
Traces the rise and fall of the World Federation of Trade Unions (WFTU), launched in Paris in 1945. Purposes of the WFTU; Rival organizations; Internal conflicts; Influence on the Cold War.
- THE US SUBMARINE FORCE (SUBFOR). Kürsener, Jürg // Naval Forces;2013, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p50
The article focuses on the U.S. navy regarding its efforts towards the development of submarine technologies. It adds that modern day applications of submarines have changed drastically and include functions such as strategic deterrence, strike and Special Operation Forces (SOF). It further adds...
- FRIGATES. Stone, Lynn M. // Frigates;2006, preceding p1
The article offers information about the U.S. Navy's guided missile frigates. Designated FFG, these frigates have been part of the Navy since 1977. They were designed during the Cold War with the former Soviet Union. Their jobs were to serve as escort vessels for groups of naval ships, such as...
- The Bomb and I. Dunn, Robert F. // Naval History;Oct2000, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p46
Focuses on the military training undergone by United States naval aviators during the Cold War in preparation for a possible nuclear warfare. Secrecy involved in the recruitment and training of military personnel for the AD Skyraider squadron; Practice bombs used during the training; Study of...
- Some Like it Hot! WAINWRIGHT, MARSHALL // Air Classics;Oct2010, Vol. 46 Issue 10, p62
Photographs of brightly-colored DC-3/C-47 aircraft in service during the cold war period including the California Air National Guard VC-47A43-15579N, the Nebraska Air National Guard C-47A-85-DL43-15555N and the United States Navy C-117D BUNO 99845 are presented.