Armed and Unafraid: Coast Guard Helicopters Acquire Machine Guns
- Coast Guard: Observations on Agency Priorities in Fiscal Year 2006 Budget Request: GAO-05-364T. Wrightson, Margaret T. // GAO Reports;3/17/2005, p1
The Coast Guard's budget has steadily increased in recent years, reflecting the agency's need to address heightened homeland security responsibilities while also addressing traditional programs such as rescuing mariners in distress and protecting important fishing grounds. The fiscal year 2006...
- FITTING IN. Stubbs, Bruce B. // Government Executive;Sep2003, Vol. 35 Issue 14, p16
On March 1, 2003, after 36 years in the Transportation Department, the Coast Guard became part of the new Homeland Security Department. The U.S. Congress had sought to preserve the Coast Guard's traditional non-homeland security missions and resources for them by prohibiting the service from...
- PUBLISHER'S PAGE. Marfiak, Tom // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Aug2002, Vol. 128 Issue 8, p10
Reports on the proposed developments at the U.S. Coast Guard in celebration of its 212st birthday in August 2002. Establishment of a Department of Homeland Security; Professional development for sea service officers and leaders; Launch of the Naval Warfare Exposition and Symposium.
- Deepwater Will Provide Homeland Security. Stillman, Patrick; Giddens, Gregory // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Aug2002, Vol. 128 Issue 8, p38
Describes an approach to procurement by the U.S. Coast Guard through the Deepwater Project. Emphasis on interoperability of communications and data sharing; Factors influencing deepwater development; Strategies for providing homeland security.
- Modeling Tools Used To Plan for the Worst. Bordenaro, Mike // Architectural Record;Nov2003 Supplement, Vol. 191, Special Section p15
This article reveals that the U.S. Coast Guard is developing a tool for use with three-dimensional design models to predict the impacts and consequences of terrorist attacks on its facilities. In a growing pilot program, a threat-assessment module is being applied to object-based data models...
- Coast Guard's Second National Security Cutter Is Commissioned. // Defense Daily;5/10/2010, Vol. 246 Issue 27, p4
The article reports on the commissioning of National Security Cutter ship, Waesche (WMSL-751) into the U.S. Coast Guards service fleet, at Alameda Port, California.
- Coast Guard. Boccellari, Brandon // Teen Ink;Nov2009, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p27
The article focuses on the U.S. Coast Guard and the important role it plays in defending the country.
- Full Steam Ahead. Peckenpaugh, Jason // Government Executive;May2003, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p12
This article reports that the U.S. Coast Guard allies want to speed up the service's 20-year Deepwater acquisition project, the the service's upgrade of its offshore fleet but are facing an uphill fight with congressional appropriators and the U.S. administration. Accelerating the Deepwater...
- Launching the Real Maritime Security Force. Stubbs, Bruce // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Oct2000, Vol. 126 Issue 10, p72
Focuses on the Maritime Action Unit of the United States Coast Guard. Efforts to ensure the capability of the fifth national armed service to operate 50 miles or more to sea; Integration of stand-off capabilities of major cutters, embarked aircraft and boats and supporting air assets;...