Connecticut's Operating Budget Awaits Rowland's OK
- Nevada Lawmakers Pare Down Budget By $275 Million. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/1/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 32910, p34
The article reports on the authorization granted by Nevada lawmakers to issue $275 million in cuts during a special session of the Legislature called by Governor Jim Gibbons. The input of all lawmakers would be needed to help the state government adjust to the latest disappointing revenue...
- Voinovich Sees Hope Beyond â€˜Doom and Gloomâ€™. L. H. // Education Week;1/29/1992, Vol. 11 Issue 19, p19
The article reports that Ohio Governor George V. Voinovich has told lawmakers that his fiscal 1993 budget request aims to protect funding for children immunization, student financial aid and on the Healthy Start program for poor children and mothers. The Governor also called for efforts by state...
- STATES FACE FISCAL CRUNCH After 1990's Spending Surge. Moore, Stephen; Edwards, Chris; Kerpen, Phil // USA Today Magazine;Jul2003, Vol. 132 Issue 2698, p10
Discusses the efforts of state policymakers to close budget gaps in the U.S. Proposal of governors and legislators to pursue tax increases; Increase in state spending; Rise in state tax revenues; Comment on the alleged overspending of New York Governor George Pataki.
- Unlike California, Utah Legislature does the hard work, balances state budget despite declining revenues. Stephenson, Howard // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;10/20/2008, Vol. 38 Issue 17, p26
The author commends the decision of Utah Governor Jon M. Huntsman Jr. and the Utah Legislature to hold a special session in September 2008 to address the budget situation of the state. The author agrees with the decision of the governor and the legislature to cut spending instead of raising...
- North Carolina May Be Close to Finalizing Its Overdue Budget. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;9/17/2015, Vol. 1 Issue 34379, p1
North Carolina legislators have unveiled a compromise general fund budget for the 2016-2017 biennium with final votes slated this week in order to send it to the governor by Friday.
- Alaska's Walker Warns of a Budget Crisis if Lawmakers Fail to Act. Glazier, Kyle // Bond Buyer;7/18/2016, Vol. 1 Issue 34545, p1
A report issued by the Alaska governor's office outlines "dire consequences" for the state's fiscal health if the state's legislature fails to take decisive action.
- IOWA: One-Day Breakthrough. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;11/14/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31265, p33
Reports on the agreement of the Iowa state lawmakers to a series of budget cuts and reversal of previous cuts. Decrease in the revenue faced by lawmakers; Estimated percentage of across-the-board cut for state departments; Amount of the final cuts according to state officials.
- Trends in 2001 sessions. Stuart, Elaine // State Government News;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 44 Issue 10, p24
Reports on the trend in the United States legislative sessions after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Legislation for the increase in state budget; Number of states which had a decline in revenues; Actions taken by several states to compensate for the decrease in state revenues.
- Beleaguered Midwest States Look for Cuts, Increased Revenues. Carvin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/8/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31360, p4
Reports the requests of governors for assistance from legislators to balance the local budgets in the U.S. Increase of revenues to cover the shortfall on biennial budget; Proposal of governor Bob Taft for a reduction of ending fund balance; Legislative approval for use of an amount from the...