Modern Readers Turn to the Classics
- Oprah-tunity knocks. Jacobs, Alexandra // Entertainment Weekly;09/20/96, Issue 345, p70
Looks at the books being written by friends of talk-show host Oprah Winfrey. `Make the Connection,' by Bob Greene, a personal trainer who helped Oprah lose weight; Her encouragment of Greene's writing; `In the Kitchen With Rosie,' by Rosie Daley, Oprah's former chef; `You Can Make It Happen: A...
- FINAL CHAPTER. Valby, Karen // Entertainment Weekly;4/19/2002, Issue 649, p67
Deals with the decision of Oprah Winfrey to end the Book Club segment in her television talk show 'Oprah.'
- Oprah Winfrey. Henry, Denise // Scholastic Action;3/12/2007, Vol. 30 Issue 11, p18
The article deals with the passion of television personality Oprah Winfrey for reading and presents information on her book club.
- AFTER OPRAH 6. // Booklist;6/1/2002, Vol. 98 Issue 19/20, p1678
Comments on the decision of Oprah Winfrey to stop offering book recommendations. Reviews of books which were the final titles recommended by Winfrey, including 'The Corrections,' by Jonathan Franzen and 'A Fine Balance,' by Rohinton Mistry, as well as titles which are perceived to focus on...
- Talk show dish. // Shape;Jul94, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p24
Recommends the book which helped talk show host Oprah Winfrey lose 70 pounds. `In the Kitchen With Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes.'
- A `Beloved' author goes to the movies. Davis, Alisha // Newsweek;1/12/1998, Vol. 131 Issue 2, p62
States that in the fall of 1998 Toni Morrison's book `Beloved' will be made into a motion picture starring talk show host Oprah Winfrey. The impact of Winfrey selecting the book for her book-club; Comments from Winfrey; Her reaction to the book.
- Oprah's book of the month. Petrikin, Chris // Variety;05/12/97, Vol. 367 Issue 2, p6
Reports that Oprah Winfrey has named Maya Angelou's memoir `The Heart of a Woman' in her Book Club Selection Club. Bantam Books' printing of one million copies of the book in anticipation of increase in demand.
- EVERYTHING I KNOW. Stager, Gary S. // Curriculum Administrator;May2000, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p58
Explores some lessons from host Oprah Winfrey that educators might use to enhance student literary and instill love of reading. Love of books; Pleasurable pursuit; Modeling reading; Book and food; Social aspects of reading; Book selections that are immune to fads and trends; Use of new...
- The crusader. Schwarzbaum, Lisa // Entertainment Weekly;3/21/97, Issue 371, p65
Discusses the television book club of talk show host Oprah Winfrey and her five selections as of March 21, 1997. Impact of Winfrey's selection on bestseller status with an accompanying chart noting post-selection sales; `The Deep End of the Ocean,' by Jacquelyn Mitchard; `Song of Solomon,' by...