THE OLD RULES STILL APPLY: BASIC HAND WASHING
- Hand Washing Frequencies and Procedures Used in Retail Food Services. STROHBEHN, CATHERINE; SNEED, JEANNIE; PAEZ, PAOLA; MEYER, JANELL // Journal of Food Protection;Aug2008, Vol. 71 Issue 8, p1641
Transmission of viruses, bacteria, and parasites to food by way of improperly washed hands is a major contributing factor in the spread of foodborne illnesses. Field observers have assessed compliance with hand washing regulations, yet few studies have included consideration of frequency and...
- BARE-HAND CONTACT vs. GLOVES. Grover, Steven F. // Food Management;Apr2000, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p96
Focuses on how to improve hand washing compliance in the United States food service industry. Requirement for the wearing of gloves to prevent the spread of foodborne disease; Restriction for ill employees; Importance of training programs.
- Inspection Tip of the Month. Powitz, Robert W.; Balsamo Jr., James J. // Journal of Environmental Health;Jun2002, Vol. 64 Issue 10, p34
Focuses on the purposes of following proper handwashing protocol prior to food service inspection. Model of cleanliness for the operators and employees; Knowledge regarding the availability of hot water, soap and paper towels in the sink.
- Food Safety Standards Create Better Drinks. Commer, David // Cheers;Sep2007, Vol. 18 Issue 7, p14
The article discusses standard food safety practices to help protect the integrity and quality of beverage offerings at bars. The proper method of cleaning and sanitizing should be practiced. Handling of ice must be done carefully and properly while attention and care must be given when...
- HAND-WASHING IS THE KEY TO FOOD SAFETY. // Restaurant Hospitality;Sep2003, Vol. 87 Issue 9, p84
Emphasizes the significance of hand-washing to food safety. Importance of hand-washing to food service employees; Factors that influence hand-washing behaviors; Efforts of the Handwashing Leadership Forum to urge hand washing practices in the food service industry.
- For good or ill, the Great Unwashed are making a comeback. Lusk, Martha Larche // Nation's Restaurant News;7/29/96, Vol. 30 Issue 29, p26
Opinion. Focuses on the importance of handwashing among foodservice personnel. Cautions given by the health-care people; Determination if a person has washed his or her hand after using the rest room.
- REPETITION IS KEY TO: HANDLING HANDWASHING. Riell, Howard // FoodService Director;5/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p120
Presents information on several ways to encourage food service employees to continually wash their hands. Basic steps of proper handwashing; Errors committed by employees when they wash their hands; Instances that necessitate handwashing.
- Experts say training, tougher inspections can keep food chain safe. Prewitt, Milford // Nation's Restaurant News;10/13/2003, Vol. 37 Issue 41, p44
Focuses on the challenges faced by food service industry in the U.S. Importance of training the food service workers; Reduction of food-borne illnesses through hand washing; Risks faced by food service companies.
- How to reinforce good habits: Handwashing. Riell, Howard // FoodService Director;05/15/97, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p212
Looks at handwashing in food service as a product of motivation, according to the views expressed by Jorge Hernandez, manager of food safety services for the National Restaurant Association's Educational Foundation. Tactics which can be used to motivate food service employees to wash their...