SCHOOL FOOD IN THE NEWS
- Trimming Bellies and Costs: In-House Cafeteria Operations. CLARK, WILLIAM F. // School Administrator;Aug2013, Vol. 70 Issue 7, p40
The author shares the strategies that the New Haven, Connecticut Public Schools used to improve the quality of food served in the school cafeteria and at the same time reduce costs. It notes that the district had outsourced its food service program management for over a decade, with the school...
- Counts grow in Big Apple. // FoodService Director;5/15/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p12
Reports on an increase in lunch participation in New York City public high schools as of December 2004. Factors that contributed to the increase, including new marketing programs; Dishes offered by foodservice facilities in the high schools; Efforts of the facilities in offering healthy food...
- Hip, Healthy Cafe Helps High School Up Sales. Buzalka, Mike // Food Management;Jul2004, Vol. 39 Issue 8, p0
Focuses on the Health Nut Cafe at Hopkins High School in Hopkins, Minnesota. College-style deli station offering to-order sandwiches made with a choice of natural ingredient breads, premium meats and fresh toppings; Conceptualization of the cafe by Hopkins food service director Bertrand Weber;...
- TWO MORE THIS MONTH: Brevard County make-overs continue in two high-schools. // FoodService Director;9/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p18
Deals with the efforts of the Brevard County School Food Services to renovate high school cafeterias in Florida. Goal of the effort; Concepts used at Bayside High School and other renovated high schools; Overall reaction to the renovated facilities.
- MORE VEGGIES, JUICE AT GLENDALE. // FoodService Director;2/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p12
Looks at the trends in foodservice operations at California secondary schools as of February 15, 2003. Impact of the addition of a serve-yourself-condiment bar in the barbecue grills at some of the schools; Features and advantages of the vegetable bar; Introduction of juice options in school...
- IN HIGH SCHOOL, JUNIOR HIGH: Othello School District eyes `budget branding'. // FoodService Director;05/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p8
Reports on the installation of theme foodcourts at Othello School District's high schools in Washington State. Concepts of the foodcourts in the schools; Percent gain in snack sales.
- AT HIGH SCHOOL JAVA CITY KIOSK: COFFEE GOES DOWN EASY. // FoodService Director;10/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 10, p5
Reports on the implementation of the Aramark's Java City coffee kiosk at Downington High School in Pennsylvania. Coffee sales; Beverages served; Information on dining procedures.
- At San Bernardino HS: '50s cafeteria redesign lifts lunch vol. // FoodService Director;11/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p8
Reports on the increase in cafeteria business at San Bernardino High School, California following a renovation and implementation of a 1950s theme in the Getaway Cafe. Description of the cafeteria's design; Reactions of the students to the design; Cost of the renovation.
- PLUS SHIFT TO PREPARED FOODS: Branding, a la carte sales help Tenn. district build revenue. Bond, Marian // FoodService Director;07/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p50
Reports on the changes in foodservice management in Nashville-Davidson County Metropolitan Public Schools in Tennessee. Factors considered in implementing the changes; Menu options at the high school levels; Way of offsetting labor shortages in the district.