Review: Parathyroid hormone increases lumbar spine bone mineral density and decreases vertebral fractures in osteoporosis
- bmj updates. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/12/2006, Vol. 333 Issue 7563, preceding p311
The article provides a summary of the article "Parathyroid hormone for the treatment of osteoporosis: a systematic review," by A. Cranney, et al. The study evaluated the use of parathyroid hormone as a treatment for osteoporosis in women. The research found that the use of parathyroid hormone...
- New options in treating osteoporosis. LoBuono, Charlotte // Drug Topics;5/5/2003 Supplement, Vol. 147 Issue 9, p9S
Focuses on the alternative option in the treatment of osteoporosis called teriparatide, a recombinant form of human parathyroid hormone. Recommended administration; Most common adverse effects; Other therapies for osteoporosis.
- Teriparatide (hPTH-[1-34]). Ashworth, L.E. // Formulary;Mar2002, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p129
Examines the efficacy of teriparatide (hPTH-[1-34]) in treating osteoporosis. Pharmacological properties of teriparatide; Increase in the total-body bone mass density; Adverse effects of the drug.
- New Treatment Builds Bone 'Dramatically.'. // Arthritis Today;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p24
Presents the results of a study on the use of a synthetic human parathyroid hormone fragment in treating osteoporosis. Methods used; Significance of taking parathyroid hormone to increases in spinal bone density; Benefits in treating several types of osteoporosis.
- Effect of Intermittent Versus Continuous Parathyroid Hormone in the Cardiovascular System of Rats. Smajilovic, Sanela; Schaal-Jensen, Rasmus; Jabbari, Reza; Smajilovic, Una; Haunso, Stig; Tfelt-Hansen, Jacob // Open Cardiovascular Medicine Journal;2010, Vol. 4, p110
Objective: PTH increases ionic calcium concentration in the serum, acting primarily on bone and kidney cells through the type 1 PTH receptor. Interestingly, PTH stimulates bone formation when administrated intermittently but causes severe bone loss with continuous administration. Daily...
- Combination Treatments Show No Increase in BMD. // Professional Safety;Dec2003, Vol. 48 Issue 12, p61
Discusses studies indicating that the combination treatment of parathyroid hormone with alendronate provides no significant improvement in bone mineral density, a procedure to cure osteoporosis. Benefits of the studies for osteoporosis patients; Clinical guidance offered by the findings to...
- Recombinant Full-Length Parathyroid Hormone (1-84). Moen, Marit D.; Scott, Lesley J // BioDrugs;2007, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p205
The article discusses the importance of recombinant full-length parathyroid hormone in treating osteoporosis. Osteoporosis occurs when the rate of bone resorption exceeds the rate of bone formation. The resulting loss of bone mass and strength can lead to fragility fractures. Available...
- Parathyroid Hormone as an Anabolic Skeletal Therapy. Rubin, Mishaela R.; Bilezikian, John P. // Drugs;2005, Vol. 65 Issue 17, p2481
The quest for effective treatment for osteoporosis merits great attention because of the widespread prevalence of this disease, which is not only associated with fragility fractures, but also with significant morbidity and mortality. The efficacy of the antiresorptive drugs in this disease is...
- A Guide to Osteoporosis Medications. // Healthy Years;Mar2014, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p6
The article offers a guide to several medications for osteoporosis. A study published online in the "New England Journal of Medicine" on January 1, 2014 suggests that a new drug called romosozumab may offer hope for the treatment of osteoporosis. Other current treatment options for disease...