California Debt in Doubt
- California Poised for Budget Accord. SASKAL, RICH // Bond Buyer;9/16/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 32962, p1
The article reports about the adoption of a budget plan by the California lawmakers. The adoption would allow the issuance of long-term and short-term debt in order to bring the state back to normal operations. It is also reported that the budget will include about $9 billion in cuts from...
- Keep S.D. Budget Bond-Free. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;5/4/2007, Vol. 360 Issue 32622, p9
The article reports on the recommendation given to San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders not to include a $24.8 million bond issue to finance deferred maintenance in his budget for 2008 in California. According to a report by the city's independent budget analyst, San Diego has yet to regain access to...
- Illinois Inks Budger, Adopts Series of Major Debt Reforms. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;7/28/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31935, p1
Reports that the state of Illinois has approved its fiscal 2005 budget. Provisions of the state budget legislation; Reform of the public debt management policies of the state; Implications for bonds issued by the state.
- District of Columbia Mayor Fenty Proposes $5.7 Billion 2009 Budget. Funk, Lynne // Bond Buyer;3/24/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32841, p31
The article focuses on the $5.66 billion budget for 2009 proposed by District of Columbia Mayor Adrian M. Fenty. The budget consists the $721.4 million of new bond proposals, $449.2 million of which would be the general obligation debt. It has been considered as fiscally conservative indicating...
- Louisiana OKs Using Bonds to Reimburse Lines of Credit for Priority 1 Projects. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;7/16/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31927, p3
Reports that the Louisiana Bond Commission has approved a resolution reauthorizing the use of bonds to reimburse lines of credit for Priority 1 Projects. Limited amount that the state can spend on debt service from its income; Capital outlay budget plans; Projects included in Priority 1.
- New Jersey Court Hears Bond Battle. D'Ambrosio, Jill // Bond Buyer;7/23/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31932, p1
Reports on the debate in New Jersey about the state government's plans to issue appropriation-based deficit bonds. Arguments regarding the definition of revenue, debt-limitation clause in the constitution and the principal of a balanced budget during oral arguments in state Supreme Court.
- Arizona Governor Presses Use of Debt to Combat Growing Budget Deficit. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;11/22/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31519, p4
Reports on the emphasis of Arizona Governor Jane Dee Hull on the use of revenue bonds to combat the state's budget deficit. Cost of restarting public school repairs in case of the program's closure; House Speaker Jim Weiers' opposition to debt; Weiers' proposal to decrease spendings; Possible...
- Crist's Proposed $4B of Debt, May Be Florida's Largest Ever. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;2/5/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32561, p3
The article focuses on the proposed $4 billion budget for bonds in Bradenton, Florida. This budget, proposed by the state Governor Charlie Crist, is considered to be the largest amount of debt financing initiated by any governor in the state. It has a total state budget of $71.2 billion for...
- Activists want to do to lease debt what they did to taxes. Berkman, Leslie // Bond Buyer;9/11/97 Supplement California, Vol. 321, p14A
Focuses on activists' attack on California's use of lease-backed bonds. Plan to sponsor initiatives in San Diego and statewide to force voter approval of all forms of state and local debt; Lease revenue bonds in California; Rise of lease debt.