Notes and Recent Decisions: INCOME TAX: DEDUCTION OF TERMITE DAMAGE AS "OTHER CASUALTY": INTERNAL REVENUE CODE SECTION 23 (e)(3)
- The Research and Development Issue. Jamieson, Aylton; Owens, Jeff // Chartered Accountants Journal;Nov2000, Vol. 79 Issue 10, p51
Reports on the New Zealand government's released of an amended policy regarding deductibility of Research and Development expenditure on October 24, 2000 at the Business Leaders' forum in Auckland. Deduction for research and development expenditure that is treated as an immediate expense for...
- Repairs, Renewals, Improvements and Alterations--I. Scutter, A.K. // Accountancy;Oct70, Vol. 81 Issue 926, p726
Deals with the extent to which expenditure incurred on the repair, renewal, improvement, or alteration of premises is an allowable deduction in computing profits and gains liable to tax in Great Britain as of October 1970. Distinction between capital and revenue expenditure; Distinction between...
- Make sales-tax deduction a permanent bright spot. Ripley, Richard // Journal of Business (10756124);2/10/2005, Vol. 20 Issue 4, pA4
Focuses on the temporary federal income-tax deduction in Washington. Terms under the sales-tax deduction; Advantages posed by the temporary break on Washington state residents; Proposal of public officials to make sales-tax deduction permanent.
- Les Cameron Planning around the allowances. // Money Marketing;6/7/2012, p50
The author offers advice on planning around tax-free allowances. He emphasizes the importance of getting the correct measure of income since failure to do so may lead to a loss of tax-free allowances. He offers a table and explains the key troublesome income areas and notes that the income...
- Advance warning. Freeman, Peter // Bulletin with Newsweek;7/17/2001, Vol. 119 Issue 6283, p52
Gives advice on organizing tax strategies. Taxation issues that need to be considered; Advantages of preparing tax deductions at the start of the financial year; Important taxation laws that need to be focused on in developing strategies.
- State Tax Deductions Seen At Risk in Senate Plan. J. R. S. // Education Week;3/12/1986, Vol. 5 Issue 26, p13
The article reports on the speculation on the move of the Senate to set limits on the deductibility of state and local taxes in the U.S. Senator Bob Packwood of Oregon is trying to line up support for a draft committee bill that will include several options for restricting such deductions on...
- Forestry with lifestyle. Downs, Murray // New Zealand Tree Grower;May2006, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p22
The article offers business and tax advice for new land owners seeking to link forestry with lifestyle benefits. In order to be eligible for tax deductions on a forestry property, activities should be considered as a business. Examples of lifestyle possibilities with a forest element include...
- Tax Considerations in Estimating a Historical Lost Earnings Basis. Gurley, Lee; Lange, David // Journal of Legal Economics;Apr2009, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p17
Estimating a historical lost earnings basis in personal injury and wrongful death cases is a primary component of estimating the present value of lost earnings. It is important for the Forensic Economist to consider allowable earnings tax deductions and exclusions on the historical actual...
- FAST TAX FACTS 2012. // California CPA;Nov2012, Vol. 81 Issue 5, p9
Several charts related to taxation in the U.S. are presented including one that lists the standard tax deductions, one that offers information on the 2012 federal tax rate schedule and one that depicts the luxury auto limit.