Kansas Weighs Fixing Flawed School-Funding Formula
- School Tax Shot Down. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;3/2/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31832, p27
Reports that Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius' plan to solve her state's school funding woes was defeated in the Senate. Republican leaders' development of a school finance plan that would not require a tax increase.
- Kansas Senate Fails to Pass School Finance Measures; Regular Session Ends. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;4/3/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32352, p34
The article reports on the failure of the Kansas Senate to pass a school finance plan. Some legislators are proposing a special session to address the issue. The Legislature will have a recess. Lawmakers will return April 26, 2006. Governor Kathleen Sebelius supported a House measure that will...
- School Session. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;2/17/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31822, p37
Reports on the deliberation of the lawmakers to equalize school funding formula in Kansas. Warning of Governor Kathleen Sebelius to the legislators; Declaration of the school funding formula as unconstitutional by district Judge Terry Bullock.
- District Judge Orders Kansas Public Schools Closed Over Funding Flaw. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;5/12/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31882, p6
Reports on the order of judge Terry Bullock to close all public schools in Kansas. Frustration of the judge on the failure of the Legislature to correct a school funding formula that he declared unconstitutional; Comment of governor Kathleen Sebelius on the issue; Effect of the problem on the...
- Governor Leaves Out Mention of Lawsuit. John, Jessica L. // Education Week;1/18/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 19, p20
This article reports that Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius' State of the State Address on January 11, 2006, recognized the legislature's success in increasing fiscal 2006 education spending by $290 million over the previous fiscal year. Citing a cost study of educational spending that the...
- Kansas Governor Threatens Special Session for School Financing Issues. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;3/22/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32344, p32
The article reports on the need for Kansas Legislature to adopt a multi-year expanded school financing plan by the end of March 2006 or come back in the summer of 2007 for the second special session in a row according to Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius. According to the governor, it is very...
- HHS announces Åš162M in awards to advance meaningful use of health IT. // Urology Times;Apr2010, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p38
The article reports on the announcement of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on the awards given to U.S. states to help them facilitate health information exchange (HIE) and advance health information technology (IT).
- Kansas refund procedures established; SSTA provisions ensure membership. // Sales & Use Tax Alert;5/15/2007, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p3
The article reports on the enactment of legislation in Kansas in 2007 that enables the state to maintain its status as a member of the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement (SSTA). Governor Kathleen Sebelius has signed the bill. Provisions in the bill related to the SSTA include those...
- Kansas Governer Set to Approve $500 Million Revenue Deal for Boeing. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;5/5/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31628, p4
Kansas governor Kathleen Sebelius expects to sign a bill that provides 500 million dollars of state revenue bonds to finance the Boeing Co.'s development of its new 7E7 passenger jet at the aerospace giant's Wichita facilities. The House on May 2, 2003 passed budget measures that expand gambling...