CORRECTIONAL EMPLOYEE stress & strain
- The Emotions HIDDEN Behind A Badge. Ray, Gayle // Corrections Today;Oct2001, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p98
Reflects on the emotional and psychological distress affecting correctional officers. Sources of stress; Advantages of programs for stress; Reasons for a mandate to Police Advocacy Support Services.
- CORRECTIONAL CONTRADICTIONS: A STRUCTURAL APPROACH TO ADDRESSING OFFICER BURNOUT. Tracy, Sarah J. // Corrections Today;Apr2003, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p90
Presents an overview of a study on stress and burnout among correctional officers. Description of the mental health of officers; Problems with the individualized approach to preventing stress and burnout; Norms and resulting tensions characterizing an officer's everyday work; Attributes of...
- Health and Wellness Programs Made Available to Maryland Correctional Employees. Sauter, Carrie // Corrections Today;Oct2001, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p110
Focuses on the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Club Maryland, statewide programs offered to all Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services employees. Concern on the stress and physical risks experienced by correctional employees; Background on the EAP; Information on...
- Correctional Officer Stress. Morgan Jr., William J. // American Jails;May/Jun2009, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p33
The article focuses on the correctional officers in the U.S. for 1977 to 2007. According to the article, correctional officers experience special stresses as they administer with a violent and nefarious population everyday. It is stated that it will result to terrible consequences for the health...
- Ethical Issues in Criminal Justice Administration. Turner, Cherrell // American Jails;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p51
Making ethical decisions in any criminal justice profession is necessary for the success of this field. Decisions like hiring the right staff (who will follow the code of ethics), enforcing policies which are fair for everyone or even where to house a criminal have to be well thought out. This...
- Saluting Jail Professionals. Gondles Jr., James A. // Corrections Today;Oct2000, Vol. 62 Issue 6, p6
Presents an article about being a jail professional. Challenges faced in running a jail; Description of the occupation; Examples of jail professionals that are credited for their job.
- Thin Gray Line. Humphrey, Billy // Corrections Today;Feb2001, Vol. 63 Issue 1, p20
Reports on the corrections profession. Definitions of culture and values; Recommendations on facilitating cultural change in correctional institutions; Description of encounters with recruits to the profession.
- Examining The Health Risks for Corrections Professionals. Wright, Lester N.; Northrup, M. Kay // Corrections Today;Oct2001, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p106
Examines the health risks for corrections professionals in the U.S. Hazards of infectious diseases; Problem of the lack of physical conditioning; Health risks caused by obesity; Effects of stress.
- The Correctional Officer: ONE OF Law Enforcement's TOUGHEST Positions. Gillan, Thomas // Corrections Today;Oct2001, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p112
Reveals that job-related stress is widespread and in many cases, severe and possibly increasing among correctional officers, according to a publication from the National Institute of Justice and Corrections Program Office, 'Addressing Correctional Officer Stress: Programs and Strategies,' by...