Philip Morris Seeking High Court's Stay on Illinois Ruling
- Business First. Miller, Julie // InsideCounsel;Nov2006, Vol. 16 Issue 180, p14
The article considers a number of Supreme Court cases concerning businesses. Robin Conrad, senior vice president of the National Chamber Litigation Center, gave a statement on the decisions that will be rendered by the High Court. Cases that will affect the business community include Philip...
- Don't Cry Over Spilt Coffee; Appeal Jury Award Instead! Walters, Bryan // Grand Rapids Business Journal;1/3/2006, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p18
The article examines the impact of large jury verdicts on businesses involved in high-publicity lawsuits in the U.S. The Illinois Supreme Court rejected the $10.1 billion verdict on a class action lawsuit involving cigarette manufacturer Philip Morris. The appellate court reduced the $3 million...
- Minnesota tobacco trial presents a less-than-clear-cut case. Rubenstein, Bruce T. // Corporate Legal Times;Jun98, Vol. 8 Issue 79, p4
Presents information on the case of the `State of Minnesota and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota versus Philip Morris Incorporated, et al.' Allegations of Minnesota's Attorney General Hubert H. Humphrey III and his co-plaintiffs; Highlights of the April 22, 1998 proceedings; Testimony of...
- A $51 Million Habit? Kelley, Timothy // Scholastic Update;04/12/99, Vol. 131 Issue 13, p7
Focuses on the case filed by Patricia Henley against Philip Morris company. Demand claimed by Henley; Decision of the jury on the case; Report issued by the United States Surgeon General about cigarettes; Reaction of Philip Morris on the jury's decision.
- The Bankruptcy Ploy. // Multinational Monitor;Apr2003, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p4
Reports on the warning of cigarette firm Philip Morris that it might go bankrupt if the Illinois court forces the firm to pay the bond to appeal the Illinois case. Allegation of Illinois smokers to Philip; Estimated amount of the appeal bond; Accusation of tobacco advocates to the company.
- Developer, Yonkers vow to heed Austin Ave. ruling. Philippidis, Alex // Westchester County Business Journal;3/17/2003, Vol. 42 Issue 11, p1
Reports on the state Supreme Court decision regarding the legal conflict over the development of the Austin Avenue in Yonkers, New York. Contract disagreement between developer Morris Companies Inc. and the Yonkers City Council; Details of the case; Contentions of the developer.
- Epidemiology of the third wave of tobacco litigation in the United States, 1994-2005. Douglas, Clifford E.; Davis, Ronald M.; Beasley, John K. // Tobacco Control;Dec2006 Supplement 4, Vol. 15, piv9
Objective: To describe the epidemiology of litigation against the tobacco industry in the United States during the years 1994-2005 (described as the "third wave" of tobacco litigation). "Epidemiology" refers to the study of the distribution and determinants of disease in populations. We apply...
- Philip Morris Gets OK For 'Altria' Mark. Mack, Debbi // Corporate Legal Times;Dec2002, Vol. 12 Issue 133, p66
Reports on the case of Altira Group LLC against Philip Morris Corp. in the U.S. Details on the trademark infringement case; Verdict of District Judge John L. Kane on the lawsuit; Comments of Kane on the uniqueness of the case.
- News that smokes. // Earth Island Journal;Winter98/Spring99, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p14
Reports on the memo that was unearthed during Minnesota's lawsuit against United States tobacco companies, which revealed the existence of Philip Morris' `Top Secret Operation Rainmaker.'