ERITREA: FGM STILL WIDELY PRACTICED ESPECIALLY INFIBULATION
- Attitudes toward Female Circumcision among Men and Women in Two Districts in Somalia: Is It Time to Rethink Our Eradication Strategy in Somalia? Gele, Abdi A.; Bø, Bente P.; Sundby, Johanne // Obstetrics & Gynecology International;2013, p1
Somalia has the highest global prevalence (98%) of female circumcision (FC), and, despite a long history of abandonment efforts, it is not clear as to whether or not these programmes have changed people's positive attitudes toward the practice. Against this background, this paper explores the...
- FGM in Sudan: Any Hope for Change? // Women's International Network News;Winter2000, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p34
Focuses on the practice of infibulation, a female genital mutilation (FGM) in Sudan. Social and cultural implications of the practice; Disadvantages of the practice; Programs and campaigns which aimed prohibit FGM.
- Dealing sensitively with the issue of female circumcision. Cembrowicz, Stefan // Pulse;5/27/2002, Vol. 62 Issue 21, p66
Focuses on female circumcision. Reasons for female circumcision; Risks of female circumcision; Pieces of advice in dealing with circumcised female patients.
- Infibulation still practiced by Somalis in North-Eastern Kenya. // Women's International Network News;Winter99, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p35
Reports that infibulation, called circumcision, is still practiced in the Somali community and is performed by Traditional Birth Attendants (TBA). How infibulation is practiced in Somali; Opposition to the practice.
- FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION. // Australian Nursing Journal;Nov97, Vol. 5 Issue 5, p18
Focuses on the extreme form of female genital mutilation called infibulation performed on Afar girls in Ethiopia. Procedure followed in the surgery; Age brackets of girls where the surgery is applicable; Psychological and physiological effects of the surgery; Reasons why infibulation is practiced.
- Thank You For Denouncing FGC, But... Adler, Peter // Attorneys for the Rights of the Child Newsletter;Jun2010, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p11
The article reports on the female genital circumcision (FGC) policy statement which has been denounced by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) as well as the policy statement issued by the Royal Dutch Medical Association (KNMG) urging strong deterrence of male circumcision in the U.S.
- PREFACE AND ACKNOWLEDGMENTS. // Matatu: Journal for African Culture & Society;2008, Issue 37, preceding p3
The article introduces this issue of the journal and cites the article on the sociological issues arising from male and female circumcision by Aldeeb Abu-Sahlieh and the interviews with the playwright Koffi Kwahulï¿½ and Safaa Fathy, a writer and filmmaker.
- Egypt: UN Conference on Population and Development and FGM. // Women's International Network News;Autumn94, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p29
Reports on the prevalence of the practice of female genital mutilation (FGM) in Egypt. CNN television broadcast of FGM; Absence of legislation to prevent FGM; Cultural pressures to observe the practice.
- Mutilated Humanity. Montagu, Ashley // Humanist;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p12
Presents author's views regarding the practice of male and female circumcision. Mutilation cases among prehistoric peoples; Speculations on the origin of circumcision; Circumcision practices among different cultures; Sociological and psychological aspects; Author's recommendations.