Sales Tax for Schools
- IOWA: Tax Switch? Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;10/31/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31255, p42
Reports on delay in considering a proposition to replace school districts's local-option sales tax with a statewide sales tax in Iowa. Reasons for delay in considering state sales tax; Preference to statewide sales tax by lawmakers; Rate of state sales tax.
- Tax Vote May Mean Fiscal Reprieve for Some Kansas Schools. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;7/30/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31438, p30
Focuses on the implementation of sales tax for schools in Johnson County, Kansas. Fluctuation of school bond sales; Improvement of the quality of education; Issuance of tax-exempt bonds for school districts.
- Kansas County Votes Funds for Schools, But Lawsuits Loom. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;8/8/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31445, p33
Reports the approval of county sales tax for the school districts in Johnson County, Kansas. Collection of quarter-cent sales tax by the county; Proceeds of the tax; Reaction of school officials to the county sales tax.
- Ga. districts to seek voter approval of sales tax. Jacobson, Linda // Education Week;12/04/96, Vol. 16 Issue 14, p15
Reports that school district officials are hoping to take advantage of a measure that allows Georgia school districts to impose a one-cent special-purpose sales tax. Crowding in Henry County schools; Search for alternative ways to pay for schools; Building programs of Gwinnett County.
- Johnson County Kan., Voters to Face Sales Tax Extension, Reallocation. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;9/10/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32709, p39
The article reports that Johnson County, Kansas voters will vote in November 2008 on a plan to extend a 0.25% sales tax and reallocate the proceeds going after to four school districts. The tax will provide almost $118 million of lease revenue bonds for county criminal justice projects. The tax...
- Local-Option Sale Tax Debt Gains Ground With Iowa Schools. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;01/24/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31063, p34
Reports that the number of Iowa school districts that leverage their share of the tax and issue bonds are expected to continue to grow even outside the counties with the strongest commercial bases as more counties plan to ask voters to levy a local-option sales tax. Differences in the way...
- Georgia Lawmakers Drop Plan To Use Sales Taxes for School Construction. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;3/4/1992, Vol. 11 Issue 24, p16
The article reports that legislators in Georgia has dropped a proposal to fund school construction through voter-approved local sales taxes following meeting resistance from municipal leaders who did not want to have to compete with school districts for funds. The bill would permit the school...
- ARKANSAS: Bald Knob Sets Tax Vote. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;9/18/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32715, p9
The article reports that city council of Bald Knob, Arkansas has agreed to set an election on November 13, 2007 for a two-year sales tax that would raise $800,000. The measure help the financially troubled Bald Knob School District No. 1 of White County avoid consolidation. According to the...
- Worth a try. // Crain's Cleveland Business;2/26/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p10
The article reports on the reaction of voters in Median County, Ohio to a ballot issue that will entitle schools in the county to receive the proceeds of a proposed increase of one-half percentage point in the sales tax. Steve Hambley and Sharon Ray, the two members of the three-member Medina...