After Word From on High, Nevada Passes Tax Increase for School Funding
- Chapters of the School Law of California II. The School District. Jones, William Carey // California Law Review;Mar1915, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p195
Discusses the nature of the school district in the language of the California Supreme Court. Overview of the plenary power of the legislature over school districts; Dedications and bequests to school districts; Constitutional provisions on school taxes.
- Legislative and Constitutional Standards for Refusing to Rehire Probationary Teachers. Trebilcock, Anne McLeod // California Law Review;Mar1974, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p576
Discusses legislative and constitutional standards for refusing to rehire probationary teachers, which is central to the California Supreme Court case 'Lindros v. Governing Board of the Torrance Unified School District.' Changed test for cause under the Education Code Section 13443; Judicial...
- FROM INTEGRATING STUDENTS TO REDISTRIBUTING DOLLARS: The Eclipse of School Desegregation by School Finance Equalization in 1970s California. BRILLIANT, MARK // California Legal History;2012, Vol. 7, p229
The article discusses the connection between the use of school busing to promote school desegregation in California and the development of public school finance reform and litigation in the 1970s. The author argues that school finance reform was brought about by opposition to desegregation...
- Are You Prepared to Navigate the Tax Implications of the Supreme Court's Recent Ruling on the 2010 Affordable Care Act? Mascareno, Sam // San Diego Business Journal;7/16/2012, Vol. 33 Issue 29, p54
The article offers information on the ruling of California Supreme Court on the 2010 Affordable Care Act with 3.8 percent flat tax on business and investment income effective from January 2013.
- Calif. High Court Rules Districts May Charge Fees for Bus Service. M. W. // Education Week;3/25/1992, Vol. 11 Issue 27, p9
The article reports on the California Supreme Court's decision on the issue of whether or not school districts of the state may charge fees for student bus transportation. The case arose after the state district sued the education department to clarify whether the law which charges students...
- Taxation: A Delicately Planned Arrangement of Cargo. Sabine, James E. // California Law Review;Mar1965, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p173
Discusses the contributions of California Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger Traynor to the tax system of California. Equitable distribution of tax burden; Administration of the tax system; Procedural aspects of taxation; Tax opinions.
- Decision Curbs Special Taxes in Calif. Districts. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;1/8/1992, Vol. 11 Issue 16, p33
The article reports on the decision of the California Supreme Court requiring two-thirds margin of voter approval for new special taxes. Lobbyists believe that the decision would have serious implications on the funding of school districts. Education advocates are not in favor of the outcome as...
- California Dodges Bullet as Court Declines to Hear Tax Case. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/23/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31932, p3
Reports that the California Supreme Court refused to hear a case that could have implications in the state's property tax system. Standing status on an appeals court decision that leaves the state's property tax assessment practices intact; Estimated potential initial impact of the case.
- GLEANINGS. // Christianity Today;Jun2012, Vol. 56 Issue 6, p8
This section offers news briefs on Christian ministries across the world. The Supreme Court of California decided to decline to hear a challenge to the nondiscrimination policy of San Diego State University. The Tibet Public Security Bureau has agreed to provide Song Kuanxin, a Christian...