Gish fights back
- NEWS. Gregory-Lewis, Sasha // Advocate;9/6/78, Issue 249, p26
Reports on developments related to gays in the United States. Decision of National Education Association to support rights of gay teachers; Approval of a gay rights ordinance in city employment by Hartford City Council in Connecticut.
- Gay hospitality suite sought for NEA meet. // Advocate;5/23/73, Issue 112, p12
Reports that the Gay Teachers Caucus is planning to raise money to finance an all-out campaign to pass a gay rights resolution at the National Education Association's 1973 convention in Portland, Oregon. Previous defeat of the resolution at the 1972 convention.
- Ontario teachers' groups endorse gay rights. Jackson, Ed // Body Politic;Jun79, Issue 53, p10
Reports on the move of two Ontario teachers' federations to endorse gay rights as of June 1979. Effort of the federations toward job protection for gay teachers; Resolution passed by the Ontario Secondary School Teacher's Federation amending an anti-discrimination policy clause; Motion passed...
- Seek job rights in Supreme Court. // Advocate;7/31/74, Issue 143, p23
Reports on a petition for the U.S. Supreme Court review of gay school teacher Joseph Acanfora III's case. Acanfora's efforts to establish his right to pursue both his chosen teaching career and his gay sexual orientation openly; Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia's rejection...
- Historians order vote by mail on gay rights. // Advocate;1/29/75, Issue 156, p7
Reports on the resolution made by the 17-member governing council of the American Historical Association in Chicago, Illinois which would affirm the rights of gay professors to undertake research into and teach courses on gay history. Approval and proposals related to the rights of gay...
- Acanfora loses another bout. // Advocate;3/13/74, Issue 133, p9
Reports that gay teacher Joe Acanfora has lost in a lawsuit against the school system in Montgomery County, Maryland. Effect of involvement in a lawsuit filed to gain the rights of a campus gay group at the Pennsylvania State University; Denial of freedom of speech; Transfer to an...
- NATIONAL: NGTF Seeks Teacher For Oklahoma Suit. // Advocate;4/30/81, Issue 316, p8
Reports on the search conducted by the National Gay Task Force for an employee of the Oklahoma City school district to test a law banning gay teachers. Result of the defection of another plaintiff; Assertion of violating the First Amendment rights; Contact information.
- LOCAL: Wisconsin GOP Asks Repeal of Gay Law. // Advocate;8/5/82, Issue 348, p14
Reports that Wisconsin Republican Party has urged the state legislature to repeal or significantly modify the gay rights law it had enacted during the beginning of 1982. Events which led the party to urge the legislature regarding gay laws; Apprehensions expressed by proponents regarding gay...
- Holding Court: the battle of acanfora. // Advocate;12/5/73, Issue 126, p29
Comments on key issues concerning the case of a teacher who was transferred out of his position because he publicly discussed his homosexuality on several television shows in the U.S. Profile on gay teacher, Joseph Acanfora and his teaching career; Court trial for Acanfora; Existing policies...