California tightens grip on sex education
- Sex text may raise more questions than answers. // Advocate;6/6/73, Issue 113, p24
Reports on the editing of a sex education textbook by the California State Board of Education. Contents of the revised books; Votations on the acceptance of the revised text; Criticisms on the books.
- Calif. Board Approves Sex-Education Policy. // Education Week;3/25/1987, Vol. 6 Issue 26, p2
The article reports on the approval of the new sex education guidelines by the California State Board of Education in California. The guidelines emphasizes sexual abstinence and controversial statement on homosexuality that will be adopted on teaching the students in kindergarten through 12th...
- UPDATE. // Education Week;10/22/1986, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p4
The article offers education-related news briefs in the U.S. The executive board of the national organization that accredits teacher-education programs in universities and colleges has directed the staff of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education to grant the request from...
- California urges teaching of evolution in science textbooks. Colin, M. // Publishers Weekly;2/3/1989, Vol. 235 Issue 5, p14
Describes a new policy statement adopted by the California Board of Education which will serve as a guideline in the teaching of evolution. Reactions for and against the policy.
- Teachers' Job Protections Debated As California Trial Gets Underway. Sawchuk, Stephen // Education Week;2/5/2014, Vol. 33 Issue 20, p1
The article presents information on U.S. court case Vergara v. California, which focuses on the job protections of teachers in California. The author looks at the Los Angeles County Superior Court lawsuit, California Governor Jerry Brown, state Superintendent Tom Torlakson, and the California...
- California hooks back up to phonics. // Curriculum Review;Apr97, Vol. 36 Issue 8, p3
Reports that the state of California is refocusing emphasis on the use of phonics in schools. Plans by the board of education to reject textbooks which do not emphasize phonics; Effect of this on books available for reading education programs.
- California educrats lose. // Human Events;02/21/97, Vol. 53 Issue 7, p24
Focuses on the California State Board of Education's endorsement of textbooks that marks the return to the phonics method of teaching children to read.
- Easy as E.C.E. // Time;4/19/1976, Vol. 107 Issue 16, p80
The article inquires into the Early Childhood Education (E.C.E) program, a reform plan developed by the California Department of Education and adopted by California Superintendent of Public Instruction Wilson Riles in 1971 to teach 400,00 students in kindergarten through third grade in nearly a...
- Æ”ÃÆ”voÎ¼Î±Æ–Attuning to Moffett's Middle Voice. Cage, Tom // California English;Winter97, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p12
The article focuses on the contributions of James Moffett in improving the teaching of English language arts. The author mentions the initiative of Moffett to stop the behavioral objectives being imposed by the California State Board of Education on California teachers during the 70s to protect...