Of mantises and myths
- WHERE DO THEY GO? Churchman, Deborah // Ranger Rick;Jan2002, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p32
Details the behavior of several animals during winter. Presence of springtails under fallen leaves; Formation of egg case by the praying mantis; Gathering of ladybugs under rock piles and fallen leaves.
- Mate attraction by females in a sexually cannibalistic praying mantis. Lelito, Jonathan; Brown, William // Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology;
We studied mate attraction by females of the praying mantid, Tenodera aridifolia sinensis, testing honest signaling of mate availability versus deceptive signaling to attract males for sexual cannibalism. We experimentally varied female diet and mating history and measured the rate of attraction...
- THE PRAYING MANTIS. // Ralph;Apr2004, p55
Describes the similarity between the male praying mantis and a man. Characteristics of a praying mantis; Views of a male praying mantis on his mate; Attitude of Lorena Bobbitt toward her husband.
- Cues Used in Patch Selection by Praying Mantis Nymphs (Mantodea, Mantidae). Wilder, Shawn M.; Rypstra, Ann L. // American Midland Naturalist;Jan2005, Vol. 153 Issue 1, p187
Visual and chemical cues may provide predators with information on the abundance and quality of prey in a particular area. In a laboratory study we investigated if general cues of prey and prey habitat had an effect on the patch selection and orientation of Chinese praying mantis nymphs...
- CHAPTER 5: Praying Mantises. Lawlor, Elizabeth P. // Discover Nature Around the House;2003, p91
This chapter discusses the characteristics of praying mantises. The mantis is a slow-moving insect whose legs are not built for jumping or high-speed running in search of a meal. However, it has evolved into a stellar predator due to some very effective adaptations. As an insect, a praying...
- Surprise attack! // U+S+ Kids;Mar94, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p19
Gives details on the praying mantis. Feeding behavior; Body structure; Classifications.
- The devil's riding horse. Teyssier, Jean-Claude; Schneider, Dan // Canadian Geographic;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 117 Issue 4, p44
Focuses on the praying mantis which frightened and fascinated people for centuries. Mantis as a great help with backyard biocontrol; Classification and origin of mantis; How they mate; Ways in which they prey other insects.
- Dear Dr. Tatiana. // Ecologist;Sep2005, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p14
The article describes the sexual behavior of the European praying mantis. A male praying mantis is in danger during his approach and his departure, but while he is actually on the back of the female--the position in which intact males have sex--the female cannot attack him. However, the female...
- Seasonal aspects of sexual cannibalism in the praying mantis ( Mantis religiosa). Prokop, Pavol; Václav, Radovan // Journal of Ethology;
According to the adaptive foraging hypothesis of sexual cannibalism, females face a trade-off between mating and consuming a courting male. Because male and prey availability can change seasonally, sexual cannibalism may change with season. However, we are not aware of any work examining how...