INVESTMENT BANKING DATABASE: Retail
- Vince Said To Be Ipo Candidate. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;10/ 8/2012, Vol. 204 Issue 73, p2
The article reports on the possibility that retail group Vince is being considered for an initial public offering (IPO) as of October 2012. Topics include why private equity firm Sun Capital Partners, which owns Vince, is looking to monetize its investment in the company, its competition with...
- Sun Rises On $25 Million Infusion For Musicland. Christman, Ed // Billboard;4/30/2005, Vol. 117 Issue 18, p27
Presents updates on the music trade in the U.S. as of April 30, 2005. Equity investment to be made by Sun Capital Partners in the Musicland Group; Decision of retail store chain Kmart to take over music merchandising in all of its stores; Plan of the Universal Manufacturing & Logistics division...
- Best Buy Sells Musicland For A Song. Wolf, Alan // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;6/23/2003, Vol. 18 Issue 13, p6
Best Buy Co. Inc. has handed off its ailing Musicland Corp. group to a private investment firm, Sun Capital Partners Inc., a leveraged buyout specialist in Boca Raton, Florida that paid no cash for the subsidiary, but assumed all of its liabilities. The agreement also calls for Best Buy to...
- Best Buy unloads troubled Musicland. Oppelaar, Justin // Daily Variety;6/17/2003, Vol. 279 Issue 50, p6
Reports on retailer Best Buy's plan to sell its troubled music and video division Musicland Group to investment firm Sun Capital Partners. Reduction of Best Buy's exposure to the increasingly unstable recorded music market; Music retail chains that were severely affected by the decline of the...
- Musicland Waits For Complete Industry Support. Christman, Ed // Billboard;9/6/2003, Vol. 115 Issue 36, p45
Announces that Musicland's new owner is Sun Capital Partners in 2003. Members of the company's management team; Problem behind the reluctance of major music vendors to resume normal trading terms with Musicland; Amount allocated by Sun Capital for the company.
- Sun's Shine On Musicland Still Clouded By Finances. Christman, Ed // Billboard;7/5/2003, Vol. 115 Issue 27, p35
Reports on the takeover of the Musicland Group by Sun Capital. Decision of Sun Capital to assume Musicland's operating payables and lease assignments; Reluctance of landlords to cut deals when they already have a signed lease; Influx of vulture investors shopping for deals in the music industry.
- Digital Boom, Musicland Bust. Christman, Ed // Billboard;1/28/2006, Vol. 118 Issue 4, p23
The article comments on the Chapter 11 filing of Musicland Group. Musicland's filing can be attributed to many underlying company and industry problems, digital downloading is the least of them. In June 2003, when Sun Capital agreed to assume ownership of Musicland, the chain had been left in a...
- Sun Capital Revamps Musicland Chain. Christman, Ed // Billboard;8/16/2003, Vol. 115 Issue 33, p41
Reports on the improvement in the business operation of the Musicland Group, under the ownership of Sun Capital Partners as of August 2003. Appointment of Mike Madden at the company; Responsibilities of Madden; Decision of Sun Capital to create separate management teams.
- Weisman Heads Musicland. Christman, Ed // Billboard;8/30/2003, Vol. 115 Issue 35, p11
Reports on Sun Capital Partners' appointment of Eric Weisman, former president and CEO of Alliance Entertainment Corp., as CEO of Musicland, effective August 26, 2003. Decision to hire retail veteran Mike Madden to complement Weisman's skill set; Response of Weisman to speculations about his...