Laid-off government workers find they have few job prospects
- Department of Energy Workforce Reduction: Community Assistance Can Be Better Targeted: RCED-99-135. // GAO Reports;5/7/1999, p1
Since 1993, the Department of Energy (DOE) has reduced its contractor workforce by 46,000 employees from a high of about 149,000. The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1993 requires DOE to develop workforce restructuring plans to minimize the impact of downsizing at defense...
- Surviving the Ups & Downs of corporate restructuring. Kamberg, Mary-Lane // Women in Business;May/Jun2000, Vol. 52 Issue 3, p14
Suggests ways on how to deal with corporate restructuring. Experiences of some women who survived corporate restructuring; Factors to anticipate corporate change; Importance of flexibility in the workplace; Traditional coping skills of most laid-off employees.
- ARIZONA: Slump Forces Mesa Layoffs. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;2/12/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32814, p9
The article reports on the mass layoff of workforce in Mesa, Arizona. The city will reduce its building safety department by 35 employees, more than a third of the division's workforce, as a result of a steep drop in residential and commercial construction permits. It is financed by revenue from...
- Layoffs looming in mid-Hudson. Kahn, Kathy // Westchester County Business Journal;5/14/2012, Vol. 48 Issue 20, p12
The article reports on the prevailing layoffs of two local offices of national companies which are scheduled to lay off a total of 167 employees in Hudson, New York.
- OVA: AVOID SLASH-AND-BURN OVERHEAD REDUCTION. Neuman, John L. // Management Review;Jan87, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p34
Focuses on overhead value analysis (OVA) as an alternative approach to downsizing in the United States. Failure of traditional slash-and-burn approach; Operating principles of OVA; Distinct phases of every OVA program; Symptoms of overhead obesity. INSETS: MAKING OVA WORK: IMPLEMENTING THE...
- HOT STUFF. Hunter, Debra // Atlanta;Oct2003, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p40
A time of layoffs and cutbacks may lead people to downsize dreams of buying things that coveted in-town townhouse. For now people can hold on to smaller things right in the little-bitty palm of their hand.
- Mass Layoffs And Confidence. Taber, George M. // njbiz;8/18/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 33, p14
Editorial. Focuses on mass layoffs in the U.S. Number of workers fired in 2002; Number of employees dismissed in New Jersey; Measures taken by New Jersey to address the problem.
- Extended mass layoffs in second quarter. // Compensation & Working Conditions;Aug2002, pN.PAG
Focuses on extended mass layoff actions taken by employers in the U.S. in the second quarter of 2002. Number of extended mass layoff events per quarter from 2000 to 2002; Portion of private sector layoffs accounted by the manufacturing industry; Characteristics of extended mass layoffs.
- More layoffs in West, more laid off in Midwest in July. // Compensation & Working Conditions;Aug2002, pN.PAG
Provides information on mass layoff events in the U.S. in July 2002. Regions with high number of mass layoffs; Overview of regional comparison of mass layoff events in the country in July 2001 and July 2002.