Buffalo, N.Y., Awaits State Approval for $180M School Bond Deal
- Proposed amendment could help Ohio lower costs of school debt. Goldsmith, Steve // Bond Buyer;01/22/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30563, p6
Discusses the proposal of a constitutional amendment in Ohio which will allow the state to issue general obligation bonds for school construction. Governor Bob Taft's announcement that the bond proposal will be one of his top priorities in 1999; Estimated value of the state's school...
- Proposed South Carolina bill offers generous portion of school GOs. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;01/22/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30563, p32
Reports on the introduction of a bill in South Carolina that would allow the state to issue up to $750 million of general obligation bonds to fix and expand local schools. Inclusion of a requirement that local schools generate matching funds in order to snare the state dollars; Requirement of...
- Newly Upgraded Vanderbilt University Readies a $100M Variable-Rate Deal. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;6/14/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31407, p3
Reports the marketing of variable-rate bonds by Vanderbilt University in Tennessee. Use of multi-modal documents in the deal structure; Basis of the standby bond purchase agreement to the VMIG1 rating; Reason of university officials in the decision to issue variable-rate debt.
- Idaho Schools to Face Sate in Latest Round of Court Battle. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;12/2/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31772, p3
Reports on the legal dispute between Idaho school districts and the state government over the financing of school facilities. Effect of the dispute on the issuance of school bonds; Financial assistance currently received by school districts from the state; Laws relevant to the conflict.
- School Bond Plan Shelved as Calif. Session Ends. Keller, Bess // Education Week;9/26/2001, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p22
Reports that California legislators have shelved a referendum for a school bond plan. Allocation of government funds for the construction of school buildings; Expansion of aid to low-performing schools; Extension of time before the state intervenes such schools.
- Voters Send Varied Signals in Local Races. Gewertz, Catherine // Education Week;11/13/2002, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p3
Reports how citizens in various parts of the U.S., through their voting patterns in 2002 elections displayed their policy choice and issue related the educational programs and proposals of their state. Defeat of a proposed school bond issue in Cincinatti, Ohio; Victory of two major school bonds...
- The Federal Role in School Finance Reform. Reischauer, Robert D.; Hartman, Robert W.; Sullivan, Daniel J. // Education Digest;Oct1973, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p2
This article focuses on the federal role in school finance reforms in the U.S. Numerous commissions, advisory councils, and study groups have been established to help define the pertinent problems and to suggest possible solutions to school finance problems in the U.S. The first of these was a...
- Edwards Restores Funds To Education Budget. K. G. // Education Week;2/25/1987, Vol. 6 Issue 22, p10
The article reports on the intention of Louisiana Governor Edwin W. Edwards to reinstate the multi-million dollar funds to the state's education budget in 1987. The concept of fund restoration was done through refinancing the state general-obligation bonds. The governor stressed that such action...
- Let the Voting Begin. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;3/22/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32095, p31
Reports on the early voting for the Dickinson Independent School District's school bonds in Texas. Financial resources for the construction of new transportation facility and a high school stadium; Increase in the property tax rate with the approval of the bond issue.