AIDS News Updates: A gay man with AIDS has begun an information and counseling service on the syndrome in Portland, Ore
- Behind the Headlines. Bull, Chris // Advocate;7/17/2001, Issue 842, p20
Interviews Matt Redman, an AIDS patient who founded AIDS Project in Los Angeles, California. Reflections on the organization he helped established; Views concerning his disease; Suggestions on how to educate sexually active gay men about HIV prevention.
- Calendar: SAN FRANCISCO. // Advocate;4/12/88, Issue 496, Special Section p22
Reports that the Shanti Project will provide counseling and practical support for people with AIDS and their families, friends and loved ones within San Francisco, California.
- Hope Inspiration among People Living with HIV/AIDS: Theory and Implications for Counselors. Zinck, Kirk E.; Cutcliffe, John R. // Journal of Mental Health Counseling;Jan2013, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p60
Despite the dramatic reversal in prognosis for people living long-term with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA), the literature indicates, counter-intuitively, that PLWHA often do not have much hope for the future. The authors undertook a grounded theory study (Cutcliff & Zinck, 2011) that resulted in a four-stage...
- Counseling Clients with AIDS. Price, Richard E.; Omizo, Michael M.; Hammett, Victoria L. // Journal of Counseling & Development;Oct86, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p96
The purpose of this article is to discuss various issues and intervention strategies to assist mental health professionals in counseling homosexual clients with AIDS. Authors focus on client needs and approaches based on a psychoeducational model that they have found helpful when working with...
- Counseling the Irresponsible AIDS Client: Guidelines for Decision Making. Erickson, Sharon H. // Journal of Counseling & Development;Mar/Apr90, Vol. 68 Issue 4, p454
With the advent and spread of AIDS, counselors are being asked to make professional decisions arising in from the conflict between the rights of confidentiality of a client and the duty to what an unsuspecting individual or public of potential harm. With careful consideration of the multiple...
- Evaluation of HIV voluntary counselling and testing services in Egypt. Part 2: service providers' satisfaction. Kabbash, I. A.; Mekheimer, S. I.; Hassan, N. M.; Al-Nawawy, A. N.; Attalla, A. A. // Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal;may2010, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p491
Voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) services are major components of HIV prevention and treatment efforts. A study in Egypt aimed to determine the satisfaction of service providers at VCTs to identify strengths and weaknesses in the service. Direct interviews with all 50 VCT team members and...
- Preparation of rehabilitation counselors to serve people living with HIV/AIDS. Glenn, Margaret; Garcia, Jorge; Li Li; Moore, Dennis // Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin;Mar98, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p190
Investigates the relationship among rehabilitation counselors' years of experience, age, sex, previous training and experience with HIV/AIDS and knowledge and skills in working with people with AIDS. Relationship among perception, level of HIV/AIDS knowledge and skill levels; Variables that...
- Editorial. Hiebert, Bryan // Guidance & Counseling;Summer2003, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p127
Introduces a series of papers on issues relevant to professionals working in the guidance and counseling field. Review of the literature of the coming-out process for gay men; Article on progressive relaxation; Examination fraud in Nigeria.
- Career Counseling with Gay Men: Issues and Recommendations for Research. Hetherington, Cheryl; Hillerbrand, Eric; Etringer, Bruce D. // Journal of Counseling & Development;Apr89, Vol. 67 Issue 8, p452
This article reviews the available literature on career issues facing gay men, identifies potentially crucial issues confronting practicing career counselors, and suggests how to work with gay men regarding career issues. Suggestions for future research are also presented.
In recent years...