AIDS News Updates: A gay man with AIDS has begun an information and counseling service on the syndrome in Portland, Ore
- Editorial. Hiebert, Bryan // Guidance & Counseling;Summer2003, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p127
Introduces a series of papers on issues relevant to professionals working in the guidance and counseling field. Review of the literature of the coming-out process for gay men; Article on progressive relaxation; Examination fraud in Nigeria.
- Career Counseling with Gay Men: Issues and Recommendations for Research. Hetherington, Cheryl; Hillerbrand, Eric; Etringer, Bruce D. // Journal of Counseling & Development;Apr89, Vol. 67 Issue 8, p452
This article reviews the available literature on career issues facing gay men, identifies potentially crucial issues confronting practicing career counselors, and suggests how to work with gay men regarding career issues. Suggestions for future research are also presented.
In recent years...
- The Impact of Multiple AIDS-Related Bereavement in the Gay Male Population. Springer, Carrie A.; Lease, Suzanne H. // Journal of Counseling & Development;Summer2000, Vol. 78 Issue 3, p297
During the last 15 years, society has been overwhelmed by the medical, social, and psychological impact of AIDS and HIV. One aspect of this issue is AIDS-related loss, and the correlative epidemic of AIDS-related bereavement. Individuals are considered particularly susceptible to such...
- Incorporating Lesbian and Gay Issues Into Counselor Training: A Resource Guide. Buhrke, Robin A. // Journal of Counseling & Development;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p77
In order for counselors to facilitate the growth of their lesbian and gay clients, they must be familiar with and become sensitive to the special needs of this population. However, most counselors and counselor trainees have had little exposure to these needs. One way of increasing their...
- Dealing with depression. HASSELRIIS, KAJ // Xtra (Toronto);3/7/2013, Issue 740, p18
The author reflects on the depression faced by him as a gay man. He discusses issues faced by adult gay men such as depression, reaching out for mental health services, and committing suicide. He mentions the availability of counseling programs in Toronto, Ontario including lesbian, gay,...
- Appeals court says gay Mexican man is eligible for asylum. // Gay & Lesbian Times;8/18/2005, Issue 921, p30
Reports on the federal appeals court ruling granting political asylum to Jose Boer-Sedano, an AIDS-afflicted gay man who fled Mexico because he feared persecution. New residence of Boer-Sedano in San Francisco, California. Reversal of the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling; Details of...
- On the unsafe side. Dow, Steve // Bulletin with Newsweek;8/19/2003, Vol. 121 Issue 6386, p62
Gays and bisexual males are becoming infected with HIV at rates not seen for a decade in Australia. Twenty years of safe sex education has gone out the window for hundreds of gay and bisexual men as they actively seek "bareback" sex, without condoms on Internet. The watershed year for unsafe sex...
- 'Worst Thing That's Ever Happened': Palm Springs Mayor Protests 'AIDS Hotel' Love, Carl // Advocate;11/13/84, Issue 407, p12
Reports that a gay man named Fred Hardt's plan to convert his Palm Springs gay resort into a residence for AIDS patients has been condemned by California's mayor Frank Bogert. Concern shown by Hardt for AIDS patients; Reasons cited by Bogert for his condemnation of Hardt's idea.
- WISCONSIN. // Advocate;1/15/91, Issue 568, p28
Reports on the findings of Wisconsin psychologist Gary Hollander which reveals that majority of gay men with AIDS are clinically depressed.