Texas Comptroller Makes History, Rejects Budget Proposal
- Lawmakers in Texas, Colorado Gear Up for Tough Sessions. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/11/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32047, p3
The article informs that lawmakers from Colorado and Texas convene this week for legilative sessions that would be rife with budget issues because of legislative restrictions about revenue and spending in Colorado and limited revenue for school finance in Texas. It informs that Texas Comptroller...
- Texas Senator Hutchison Hints at Potential Gubernatorial Candidacy. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/8/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32149, p4
This article focuses on the potential three-way race for the Republican nomination for the governor's office in Texas. Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn has long been considered a potential opponent to Texas governor Rick Perry's bid for a second full term of office. Rumors of Hutchison...
- Book Fund Deficit. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/25/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31891, p31
Reports that Texas has a $67 million budget deficit for textbooks, according to Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. Miscalculation by the state legislature and transportation budget officials of the revenue that would be generated by a new tax law.
- Capitol Highlight. Sterling, Ed // Twin Cities News (Munday, TX);7/20/2006, Vol. 24 Issue 25, p2
The article offers local news briefs of Texas, United States. The Secretary of State Roger Williams denied approval to Richard "Kinky" Friedman and Carole Keeton Strayhorn for modification of their names on the ballots. The Supreme Court ordered for adjustment of geographical boundaries of...
- SOUTHWEST Bond-Watch. // Bond Buyer;4/26/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32119, p27
The article focuses on bond issues of various U.S. states. In Colorado, state lawmakers will consider legislation that would prevent companies that wish to build private toll roads from using eminent domain to acquire land. Current Colorado law does not clarify the rights held by transportation...
- Comptroller OKs tax reform legislation; governor signs. Sterling, Ed // Munday Courier (TX);5/31/2006, Vol. 33 Issue 28, p2
The article reports that Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, Texas's chief accountant, has certified that the state has sufficient funds to pay for House Bill I, a temporary buy-down of property taxes. Later, Governor Rick Perry signed the bill into law. HB 1 reduces property taxes, provides...
- SHOOT-OUT AT THE GOP CORRAL. Maggs, John // National Journal;11/8/2003, Vol. 35 Issue 45, p3443
Focuses on the criticism of Texas Governor Rick Perry's proposed budget by Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. Action taken by the Legislature on Strayhorn's charges; Background on the political career of Strayhorn; History of the conflict between Strayhorn and Perry.
- Strayhorn Estimates $8.2 Billion In Available Revenue. // Bulverde Standard (Canyon Lake, TX);8/2/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 31, p4
The article reports on the release of the revised revenue estimate which gives lawmakers in Texas an additional $8.2 billion in new money and $2.3 billion in previously appropriated but not used money. Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn prompted the move to finance needed programs such as...
- Lawmakers in Charge. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;7/15/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31677, p33
Discusses the views of Carol Keeton Strayhorn, State Comptroller of Texas about the expenditure of a $700 million funds. Composition of the funds; Power given to officials of the state regarding the usage of the money.