Compromise Offered in California
- California Enacts New State Budget and Several Tax Law Changes. Micheli, Chris // Journal of State Taxation;Nov/Dec2010, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p41
Chris Micheli discusses California's recently enacted state budget and the tax law changes included in budget trailer bills.
- TRENTON'S FOLLY. . Greenblatt, Alan // Governing;Aug2006, Vol. 19 Issue 11, p18
The article focuses on the budget deficit of the state of New Jersey that forced the state government to shut down in July 2006. Governor Jon Corzine proposed a budget in early 2006 that sought to end more than a decade of financial management in the state. The first move would be an increase in...
- SPUN from the WEB. // Caribbean Business;11/30/2006, Vol. 34 Issue 47, p57
The article offers news briefs related to business in Puerto Rico in 2006. The first week implementation of the sales tax of 5.5 percent for state and up to 1.5 percent for municipalities tends to be confusing to retailers. It has been reported that the government is planning to close its books...
- Budget impasse over, payments will resume. // McKnight's Long-Term Care News;Apr2009, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p12
The article reports on the approval of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's plan to use steep cuts and taxes to close a $42 billion deficit in the state's 2009 fiscal year budget. Schwarzenegger has planned to increase sales tax by 1.15% as well as personal income tax for every tax...
- Connecticut Will Close Budget Gap, Avoid Risk of Downgrade. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;2/28/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31583, p4
Reports on the plans of governor of Connecticut John Rowland to plug the state's $650 million budget deficit for fiscal year 2003. Possible impact of not reducing the budget deficit on the state's economy; Measures taken to reduce the budget deficit; Credit ratings of the state by credit rating...
- State Budget Shortfalls and Arkansas' Strategies. Huckabee, Mike // Spectrum: Journal of State Government;Summer2002, Vol. 75 Issue 3, p32
Discusses Arkansas strategy for addressing state budget shortfalls. Use of trust funds and national tobacco settlement money as budget balancers; Decline in corporate income tax collections; History of opposing tax increases.
- Bipartisan Deficit Plan Set to Pass Minnesota Legislature. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/22/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31330, p3
Reports on the approval of a bipartisan plan to wipe out $2 billion deficit in the Minnesota's biennial 2002-03 budget by Minnesota House. Governor Jesse Ventura's concerns about the plan; Credit rating agencies' opinion about the plan; Provisions under the plan.
- Tom Ammiano and Mark Leno host budget meetings. Bajko, Matthew S. // Bay Area Reporter;5/2/2002, Vol. 32 Issue 18, p13
Reports on the holding of town hall meetings in San Francisco, California to talk about the state's budget deficit.
- South Carolina Begins Special Session To Close $348 Million Budget Deficit. Roh, Jane // Bond Buyer;12/2/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31523, p40
Discusses the budget deficit of South Carolina for the fiscal year 2003. Provisions of the plan of Democratic Governor Jim Hodges regarding budget cuts; Composition of the budget and control board called by Hudges for a budget session; Discontentment of political leaders over Hodges' late...