California, Mired in Budget Stalemate, Readies $1.7B in GOs
- California Lawmakers Mull Bond Issue to Close the Gap. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;3/25/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31600, p1
A group of California lawmakers plan to float billions of dollars in bonds to pay off part of the state's 35 billion dollar deficit over several years because they can't agree on any other solution to the state's financial problems as of March 25, 2003.One way to ease the amount of cuts or taxes...
- Special Report Saudi Arabia. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;12/19/2008, Vol. 52 Issue 51, p35
The article presents a forecast regarding the economic conditions of Saudi Arabia in 2009. It mentions about the plans of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, to run a budget deficit in 2009, following the fall in oil prices and states that the entire economy of Middle East, during the current financial...
- Rethinking local government structure. Wells, Mike // Indianapolis Business Journal;10/27/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 33, p13A
Expresses concern on the budget crisis facing Indiana in 2003. Estimated budget deficit of the state; State's inability to operate efficiently; Potential financial savings resulting from a streamlining of government operations.
- UC Regents deciding future of UCI Medical Center. Bosetti, Diana // Orange County Business Journal;04/21/97, Vol. 20 Issue 16, p4
Focuses on the public hearing scheduled for April 10, 1997, to discuss the future of UCI Medical Center, which suffered a budget deficit in 1996. Information on the operations of the institution; What factors contributed to the budget deficit it reported in 1996; Options available to the...
- Allen Park Distressed. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;8/15/2012, Vol. 381 Issue 33765, p9
The article reports on the data from a preliminary state-appointed review team which showed that Allen Park in Michigan is in a state of financial emergency.
- Those Weren't the Days. Tomasky, Michael // New York;10/21/2002, Vol. 35 Issue 36, p13
Reports the cuts made by Mayor Michael Bloomberg on the New York budget. Budget deficit of the Bloomberg administration; Images of the fiscal crisis in the 1970's; Effects of the crisis on the middle class.
- The Big Bad Deficit. // Dollars & Sense;May/Jun2010, Issue 288, p2
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Marty Wolfson on the financial myths concerning government reduction of the budget deficit, another by Mike Epitropoulos on the financial crisis of Greece and one by Arthur McEwan on the issue of bond market...
- Budget crisis warrants a real solution, at last. Alley, Mike // Indianapolis Business Journal;5/13/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 9, p16
Comments on the resolution of budget crisis in Indiana. Increase in taxes to alleviate budget crisis; Failure of the government officials to solve budget crisis; Need for the state leaders to improve governance.
- Democracy in Crisis. Buchanan, Patrick J. // American Conservative;Feb2011, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p33
The article examines the crisis that besets democracy in the U.S. It mentions the political turmoil in Great Britain like the burning of the statue of the 19th-century statesman Lord Palmerton and urinating on the statue of Prime Minister Winston Churchill. It states that the U.S. also is facing...