More California Conflict
- California Approves Bonds, Cuts. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;5/2/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31627, p1
California Legislature has approved on May 1, 2003 the sale of 1.85 billion dollars of pension bonds along with a package of 1.76 billion dollars in budget cuts, taking the first major steps in a month toward making an improvement in the state's budget deficit. Governor Gray Davis approved of...
- California going broke. Cline, Harry // Western Farm Press;7/5/2003, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p4
Reports on the state budget deficits in California. Retrenchment of government employees; Launch of signature campaign to recall Governor Gray Davis; Escalation of college tuition fee.
- Hey buddy, can you spare $64 million? // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;8/1/2003, Issue 323120, p1
Reports on the budget deficits in California. Financial capacity of the gubernatorial candidates; Assessment of the funding problems; Assessment of the petition drive against Governor Gray Davis.
- California screaming. Campbell, Duncan // Public Finance;7/25/2003, p20
Reports on the financial crisis in the state of California and the threat it poses to public jobs and services. Budget deficit going into the second term of governor Gray Davis; Possibility for a recall election; Political crisis feeding a fiscal one; Cuts in public spending suggested by the...
- Governors look to state funds to relieve shrinking budgets. Chernoff, Joel; Bookbinder, Adin // Pensions & Investments;1/21/2002, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p2
Reports on the efforts of state governors to save billion of dollars in response to the 12.5 billion dollars budget deficit in the United States. Proposal of California Governor Gray Davis; Recommendations of Florida Governor Jeb Bush; Plans of Kentucky Governor Paul Patton.
- Where's the shame, Governor Davis? Stephens, Frank // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;7/5/2002, Issue 322951, p25
Criticizes the failure of the administration of California Governor Gray Davis in managing the state's affairs. Budget deficit facing the state; Decline in Davis' approval ratings; Forecast increase in taxation; Budget problems of the state.
- It Appears the Governor Has Lied to Us Again. // San Diego Business Journal;5/27/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 21, p35
Criticizes the administration of Governor Gray Davis in California. Assessment on the financial management of the Davis administration; Extent of budget deficit and revenue decline in the state; Implications for resolving the budget problem.
- As Deficit Mounts, Davis Tries to Spare Schools. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;5/22/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 37, p20
Reports on the decision taken by Governor Gray Davis to revise budget plans for California in an attempt to protect schools from taxes while managing a budget deficit. Impact of Davis' refusal to suspend Proposition 98 on the concerns of educator; Effect of the budget proposal on...
- TOTAL RECALL. Greenblatt, Alan // Governing;Sep2003, Vol. 16 Issue 12, p25
Discusses the possible implication of California's attempt to recall Governor Gray Davis, who have been blamed for budget deficits, for U.S. states. Budget deficit posted by the state; Number of states that allow recalls of state and local officials; Hurdles for placing a recall of a statewide...