Sharpen up on costs
- PCD for carbon fibre composite machining. // Metalworking Production;Jun2006, Vol. 150 Issue 6, p33
The article focuses on the three diamond technologies for machining carbon fiber composites (CFC) by Unimerco. These include brased polycrystalline diamond (PCD), veined PCD and diamond grit in which PCD is only next to pure diamond in hardness. In terms of CFC machining, PCD normally outlasts...
- Reducing Rework Adds Plant Capacity--Inexpensively. Marak, Daniel M. // Wood & Wood Products;Dec2000, Vol. 105 Issue 13, p83
Asserts that a decrease in rework may be an answer to the plant capacity problems of furniture industry. Examples and assumptions about the effects of quality control; Steps to minimize rework.
- Moving on up. // Metalworking Production;Sep2002, Vol. 146 Issue 10, p5
Reports on the expansion plans of the metal product manufacturer Unimerco in Great Britain as of September 2002.
- Shiftman creates quality by hand. Perry, David // Furniture/Today;9/8/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p29
Reports on the manufacturing of bedroom furniture by Shifman Mattress Co. in Newark, New Jersey. Product quality; Enhancement of the manufacturing procedures; Investment of craftsmanship in mattresses.
- All in one system for panels. // Cabinet Maker;1/18/2002 Supplement, p25
Reports that Kent, England-based furniture company Cabinet Vision Inc. has developed the Nested Based Manufacturing technique for panel manufacturing.
- Think lean. McCallum, Blair // Cabinet Maker;5/16/2003 Supplement, p34
Focuses on the performance of the furniture industry in Great Britain. Total turnover of the industry; Introduction of lean manufacturing techniques in the sector; Concept of lean manufacturing process.
- MIRROR OF TECHNOLOGY. // Wood & Wood Products;Dec2003, Vol. 108 Issue 13, p80
Focuses on the evaluation to the state of technology used in five key areas of production operations in furniture industry. Rank of software on the intended purchase list for U.S. wood productions operations and Canadian companies; Worth of planned investments by U.S. companies; Expenses for...
- Flexible plants keep Century competitive. Russell, Thomas // Furniture/Today;1/16/2006, Vol. 30 Issue 19, p58
The article reports on the efforts to keep its company competitive by the Century Furniture in Hickory, North Carolina. Century has developed a mind-set that is open to change and continuous improvement which is called customer-focused manufacturing excellence. According to plant manager Terry...
- Lean Manufacturing Puts OFS in the Driver's Seat. Koenig, Karen M. // Wood & Wood Products;Nov2004, Vol. 109 Issue 12, p51
Focuses on the transition of OFS' chair manufacturing plant in Leitchfield, Kentucky to lean manufacturing. Background of OFS; Elements of a traditional lean system; Investments in automation to eliminate unnecessary labor; Effectiveness of lean manufacturing; Commitment of the plant to customer...