GETTING TOUGHER: New AMS beef specs to take effect
- $300 MILLION FOR LUNCHES ABROAD: Intl. school meal proposal chills. // FoodService Director;07/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p18
Focuses on a proposal of the United States Department of Agriculture to offer an international school meal program. Reaction of Congressional Republicans to the plan; Cost of implementing the program; Support received by the plan.
- Kansas Cattlemen pleased to see modifications in new school lunch program. // High Plains Journal;2/18/2013, Vol. 131 Issue 7, p15-B
The article focuses on modifications made in the child's school lunch program launched by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to include beef in the menu of the program.
- Aramark Rolls out KG Dining Platform. // Food Management;Feb2009, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p8
The article reports that Aramark Education has started its new Cool*Caf elementary school dining environment in 60 sites in January 2009, which is reportedly a major initiative to update and improve K-6 dining. It is stated that there have been pressures to increase the nutrition quality of...
- The Hazards of School Lunch. // Good Medicine;Winter2008, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p6
The article presents a discussion about school lunches in the U.S. One of the child nutrition programs in the country is the National School Lunch Program created by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). However, eighty percent of schools violate the limits set under the program. The...
- USDA School Meal Programs Face New Challenges. Guthrie, Joanne; Newman, Constance; Ralston, Katherine // Choices: The Magazine of Food, Farm & Resource Issues;2009 3rd Quarter, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p36
The article discusses the challenges being faced by the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in its efforts of implementing improved diets of children from low-income households. It provides a brief background of the NSLP when it was created in 1946...
- 'ABUNDANT' FFV PROMPTS BUY. // FoodService Director;6/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p46
Presents news briefs on the food service sector in the U.S., as of June 2003. Fruits and vegetables that will be purchased by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for donation to schools, neighborhood shelters for needy families and other institutions; Legislation proposed by Senator Patrick...
- Junk Food. // Education Digest;Feb1979, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p63
This article presents information on a regulation made by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to ban the sale of junk food during lunch hours in school cafeterias. Citing fundamental questions raised by candy manufacturers, the USDA has announced it is delaying its regulations to ban the...
- President's Message. Newman, Jacqueline M. // Journal of Nutrition Education;Mar/Apr2001, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p70
Reports on the Society for Nutrition Education's involvement in the United States Department of Agriculture's School Meal Initiative (SMI). School nutrition; Results of two research studies on how schools are progressing in meeting SMI nutrition standards; Contact information.
- U.S.D.A. Unveils Updated â€˜Food Pyramidâ€™ To Depict the Elements of a Healthy Diet. Flax, Ellen // Education Week;5/6/1992, Vol. 11 Issue 33, p20
The article reports on the release of an updated food pyramid depicting the elements of a healthy diet to school children by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. This food pyramid graphically shows a healthy diet that contains more bread, cereal and pasta, rather than meat and other high-fat...