SCHOOL FOOD IN THE NEWS
- Kick The Can! Hurley, Mary Lou // Current Health 1;Sep2004, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p8
Discusses the replacement of soda beverages with fruit juices and bottled water in school cafeterias and vending machines in the U.S.
- LOOKING UP: REALITY CHECK. Pond, James // FoodService Director;2/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p26
Comments on the changes in the U.S. school foodservice business since the 1960s. Tendency of children to indulge in sweet food products; Arguments on the sale of carbonated beverages; Contribution of sodas sold in schools to the child obesity epidemic.
- Chandler Schools Begin to Offer Smoothies. // FoodService Director;2/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p8
The article reports that middle and high school students in the Chandler Unified School District in Chandler, Arizona can now purchase smoothies during lunch. The new product began selling at nine schools after Thanksgiving, following approval of a $109,000 contract with Tropical Smoothie...
- Lip Smackin' Smoothies. Lefebvre, Joanna // Food Management;Jul2005, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p64
Reports on the adherence of Point Park College students to fruit-based smoothies. Additives and nutritional facts of the smoothies offered; Improvement of smoothies retail volume and sales line; Comments of Rebecca Beyer, Pont Park senior food service director, regarding the nutritional benefits...
- The catered cocktail. Kordsmeier, Kate Parham // FoodService Director;12/15/2014, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p42
The article discusses tips for food service providers on how to effectively promote their beverage products. It offers insight from Candyce Gordon, director of catering for Flavours Catering by Sodexo at the University of Louisville, regarding the challenges of making the right beverage mix in...
- SOUP it up! // FoodService Director;11/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p55
Reports on the popularity of soup among meal producers and consumers in the U.S. Variety of soup offered at Fairport Central School in New York; Favorite soup of students; Comments from Steve Myers, executive chef at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
- District and Hospital Partner to Bring Healthy Foods to Students. // FoodService Director;3/15/2010, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p11
The article discusses the collaboration of the foodservice divisions of Cooperstown Central Schools and Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital in serving healthy lunch menus to students.
- In brief. // Food Management;Dec99, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p12
Presents news items concerning the food service industry in the United States. Includes the popularity of the University of Southern California's catering facility as site for parties and special events; CulinArt's appointment of Tom Eich as president; Orion Food Systems' plan of opening four...
- School foodservice leaders receive FAME awards. // Nation's Restaurant News;01/10/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p58
Reports that school foodservice leaders were chosen as winners in the 11th Annual Foodservice Achievement and Management Excellence Awards.