Market Efficiency and the Women's NBA
- Fall brings important business: Pools. Mullich, Joe // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;09/01/97, Issue 322193, p22
Editorial. Comments on the popularity of office betting pools during the summer sports season in the United States. Value of office betting pools for employees; Forms by which office pools can take; Comparison between football and basketball pools.
- Game over. Lynn, Jacquelyn // Entrepreneur;Sep98, Vol. 26 Issue 9, p38
Focuses on the office betting pools for sports events in the United States. Comments from Paul Bresson of the Federal Bureau of Investigations on the illegality of these sports betting; How gambling law violations in the US are handled; Why businesses should establish and enforce an...
- Sport. Johnson, Tony // Metro (NZ);Aug98, Issue 206, p124
Opinion. Argues about sports betting in New Zealand, which was introduced in 1996. Reason sports betting was introduced; Amount of money New Zealanders wagered on sport events since 1996; Amount of money New Zealanders wagered on the 1998 World Cup soccer tournament in France; Information on...
- Ignoring gambling won't make it go away. Kindred, Dave // Sporting News;11/18/96, Vol. 220 Issue 47, p7
Comments on gambling scandals involving sports personalities in the United States. Includes Boston College football players' gambling on sports events; Basketball player Michael Jordan's golf bets; Prevalence of college sports gambling.
- Don't bet on it. Kindred, Dave // Sporting News;10/13/97, Vol. 221 Issue 41, p7
Focuses on the impact of gambling on sports. Baseball player Pete Rose's banishment from baseball for betting on baseball games; Legalization of sports gambling; Newspapers' publishing of gambling advertisements.
- Don't bet on it... Masin, Herman L. // Coach & Athletic Director;Jan97, Vol. 66 Issue 6, p15
Reports on the investigation of 13 college athletes at a major university for betting on college games. Hypocrisy of politicians who condemn gambling but legalize many forms of it; Corrupting effects of gambling; Inevitability of gambling in life.
- Deadline nearing on sports bet comments. Burd, Joshua // njbiz;9/3/2012, p2
The article reports that the period for public comments on the state of New Jersey's proposal to legalize sports betting is about to end in September 2012.
- The national bet. McGraw, Dan // U.S. News & World Report;04/07/97, Vol. 122 Issue 13, p50
Focuses on illegal sports wagering in the United States in 1997. The amount by which such betting has increased since 1983; Why there has been an increase; American and law enforcement attitudes about gambling; Why some states are beginning to questions whether illegal bookmaking is a victimless...
- Who Bets on Sports? Characteristics of Sports Bettors and the Consequences of Expanding Sports Betting Opportunities. HUMPHREYS, BRAD R.; PEREZ, LEVI // Estudios de EconomÃa Aplicada;ago2012, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p579
Currently, several proposed changes in sports betting laws are being debated in the United States and the European Union. This article examines the characteristics of sports bettors in three countries, Canada, Spain, and the United Kingdom, to determine who bets on sports in environments where...