Colorado's Governor Labels Streamlined Sales Tax Project a 'Cartel'
- The Taxman Is Coming to the Net. Kandra, Anne // PCWorld;Jun2001, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p29
Discusses taxes in the United States on items bought on the Internet. How the different rules regarding sales tax in various states allow a person to avoid paying sales tax; Complaint from traditional retailers that Internet companies have an unfair advantage; How a unified tax system for...
- Sales-tax bill hits the mark. Robinson, Kristin Cormier // State Government News;May2001, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p18
Focuses on the collection of sales tax on items bought over the Internet in the United States. Efforts of the government to simplify sales tax collection; Development of laws on Internet sales tax; Information on the Streamlined Sales Tax Project for sales tax collection; Provisions of a bill...
- The Sales Tax No Longer Makes Sense. du Pont, Pete // Consumers' Research Magazine;May2000, Vol. 83 Issue 5, p21
Explains why the traditional state and local tax systems in the United States may not survive the challenges raised by electronic commerce. Sales tax; Economic developments; Influence of the Supreme Court.
- Sales & Use Tax System in Need of Simplification? // CPA Journal;Nov99, Vol. 69 Issue 11, p12
Discusses a study conducted by Ernst & Young which examined the state of local sales and use tax systems in the United States. Issue on Internet taxation; Findings of the study; Tasks of the commission created by Congress in 1998.
- ICSC-Sponsored Study Finds States Could Lose More than $56 Billion in Revenue. // GPP eNews;4/17/2009, p1
This article discusses a study released by the University of Tennessee in April 2009 which finds that sales tax revenue is expected to fall by as much as $12 billion annually by 2012 due to the inability of state and local governments to collect sales tax on Internet purchases. According to the...
- Internet sales tax ban plan includes wireless tax. // RCR;11/15/99, Vol. 18 Issue 46, p19
Reports on Virginia Governor James Gilmore's proposal to permanently ban sales taxes on Internet transactions. National Association of Counties Executive Director Larry Naake's opposition against Gilmore's proposal; Gilmore's plan to convert the three-percent federal excise tax on wireless and...
- Online Sales Tax Is for Real. Swope, Christopher // Governing;Apr2003, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p52
Focuses on the deal struck by several U.S. large retailers with 37 states in 2003 on the collection of taxes by the retailers from their customers who make Internet purchases. States that rejected the deal; Benefits of the deal to the retailers and states; Argument against the deal.
- E-TAILER SALES TAX NEXUS AND STATE TAX POLICIES. Bruce, Donald; Fox, William F.; Luna, LeAnn // National Tax Journal;Sep2015 Special Issue, p68
An abstract of the article "E-Tailer Sales Tax Nexus and State Tax Policies" by Donald Bruce, William F. Fox, and LeAnn Luna is presented.
- E-taxation. // PC Week;08/02/99, Vol. 16 Issue 31, p54
Argues the need for the electronic commerce (e-commerce) industry and the United States government to act quickly on the issue of sales taxation of e-commerce. The assertion that online sales tax is inevitable; Concern that a lack of action could hinder the first taxation scheme; The example...