The Trimersible Enters the Fray As Navy Refines Its Sea Basing Concept
- The Big E Goes Where the Action Is. Holloway III, Admiral James L. // Naval History;Aug2000, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p36
Focuses on the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Enterprise's participation in combat operations in the South China Sea in 1965. Decision to send the Enterprise for the reinforcement of Southeast Asia; Unique capabilities of the ship.
- U.S.S. Enterprise. RAWLINGS, NATE // Time;12/17/2012, Vol. 180 Issue 25, p20
The article discusses the U.S. Navy's retirement of the U.S.S. Enterprise aircraft carrier in 2012, focusing on the vessel's historical significance as the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, as well as its involvement in the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962.
- North Island is favored for new carriers. Toth, Simone // San Diego Business Journal;07/12/99, Vol. 20 Issue 28, p1
Reports that North Island Naval Air Station in San Diego, California, is the United States Navy's choice to become home to its three nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. Release of US Navy's final environmental impact statement; Arrival of the Nimitz-class nuclear carriers; Economic impact of...
- Commissioning of USS Ronald Reagan Gives Navy One Hundred Thousand Tons of Combat Capability. // Sea Power;Aug2003, Vol. 46 Issue 8, p36
Reports on the commissioning of the USS Ronald Reagan, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, by the U.S. Navy in 2003. Key features and specifications; Range of capabilities to be provided by the aircraft carrier to the service; Implications on U.S. defense policy.
- Navy thinks twice about carrier move. // Hill;11/7/2011, Vol. 18 Issue 155, p19
The article reports on the reconsideration of the U.S. Navy regarding its plan to move a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier from Norfolk, Virginia to Mayport, Florida, according to U.S. Navy Chief of Naval Operations Administration Jon Greenert.
- Carrier report card. Mann, Paul // Aviation Week & Space Technology;7/4/1994, Vol. 141 Issue 1, p23
Reports on the Greenpeace organization's criticism against the Navy's nuclear aircraft carrier.
- Yokosuka Naval Base Prepares for Nuclear Aircraft Carrier. Arakaki, Glenn T. // Engineer;May-Aug2009, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p36
The article reports on the arrival of the USS George Washington, the U.S. Navy's nuclear aircraft carrier, at the Yokosuka Naval Base located in Yokosuka-shi, Japan. It describes the bilateral effort between the U.S. and Japan to prepare for the arrival. It notes that the Japan Engineer District...
- Sea Service Leaders Engage Public in 'Conversation with the Country'. Burke, Rhonda // All Hands;Jun2007, Issue 1082, p6
The article reports that Sea Services leaders converged with civic leaders from Chicago, Illinois to engaged them in a conversation about defining the nation's maritime strategy.
- An Unprecedented Pace of Operations. Philpott, Tom // Sea Power;Jan2001, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p7
Offers a look at the pace of forward-deployed operations of the United States Navy in 2000. Positive effect of budget increases in 2000; Overview of its force structure and the Quadrennial Defense Review; Major acquisition problems of the Navy.