- Learning Area Update. Davidson, Maryellen // Ethos 7-12;1999 Term 1, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p2
Presents news briefs related to education in Victoria as of March 1999. Accreditation of several VCE studies in December 1998; Development of a revised Studies of Society and Environment framework.
- The social studies and the ideal. Ediger, Marlow // College Student Journal;Jun96, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p200
Characterizes an ideal social studies college curriculum. Emphasis on selected standards and criteria; Opportunities for students to engage in problem solving; Subject-centered approaches in teaching; Behaviorism method of teaching; Alignment of learning opportunities and evaluation techniques...
- Conceptions of Power Liberating or Limiting? Walker, Trenia L. // Encounter;Spring2001, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p24
Examines different views concerning conceptions of power in the educational system. Goal of power relationship in a Marxist paradigm; Discourses about power.
- The Societal Curriculum and the School Curriculum: Allies or Antagonists? Cortes, Carlos E. // Educational Leadership;Apr79, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p475
Discusses the concept of societal curriculum. Components of the societal curriculum; Impact on ethnicity and culture; Educational effects of societal curriculum.
- EDUCATION & SOCIAL SCIENCE. // Ecological Restoration;Spring2000, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p65
Presents abstracts of several studies on education and social science. `Using a Guttman Scale to Characterize Personal Attitudes Toward Restoration,' by Kenneth Hadden, et al; `A Role for Ecological Restoration Work in University Environmental Education,' by P.A. Bowler, from `The Journal of...
- Editorial. // Ethos Annual;1999, Vol. 7 Issue 1999, p2
Introduces several articles on social studies for educators in schools.
- Educating for the Future--Multicultural perspectives and SOSE programs. Andrews, Drina // Ethos Annual;1999, Vol. 7 Issue 1999, p29
Discusses the issues on multicultural education and the studies of society and the environment programs. Multicultural society in Australia; Importance of fostering cultural diversity; Changes in the business practices.
- Civics and Citizenship report. England, Gabrielle // Ethos Annual;1999, Vol. 7 Issue 1999, p56
Comments on the commitment of studies of society and environment (SOSE) teachers to civics and citizenship education (CCE). Panel discussion on CCE at the Social Education Association of Australia Biannual Conference; Trends in CCE; Results on the survey conducted on SOSE teachers.
- NCLB & the Role of the School District Superintendent. First, Patricia F. // Journal of Law & Education;Jul2004, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p341
Introduces a series of articles on the interaction of legislation, social science research and education.