Harcourt Wins Pa Testing Contract; States' Accountability Plans OK'd
- CORRESPONDENCE. Waterman, Jean; Jacobs, Jon // British Journal of Nursing;4/11/2002, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p420
Presents several correspondence on nursing in Great Britain. Opinion on the expansion of the prescribing role of nurses; Absurdity of an English language test for nurses; Distinction between nurses from the European Union and non-European Union nurses.
- Classroom Connect Acquisition Boosts Harcourt's Presence On The Web. // Electronic Education Report;9/12/2001, Vol. 8 Issue 18, p4
Reports the impact of the acquisition of Classroom Connect by Harcourt Education Measurement. Growth of Internet and professional development area; Goal of Harcourt; Increase on the software selection of the company.
- States Face Limited Choices in Assessment Market. Boser, Ulrich // Education Week;03/08/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 26, p1
Focuses on Harcourt Educational Measurement, a testing company based in the United States. Contract of Harcourt for an assessment program in Massachusetts; Overview of the school testing and assessment market; Errors in scoring systems of testing companies.
- N.Y.C. to stop proficiency testing of all Hispanics. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;3/6/96, Vol. 15 Issue 24, p3
Reports on the New York City board of education's March 1996 vote to stop its practice of automatically testing all students with Hispanic surnames for their English proficiency. Use of tests to assign students to bilingual-education programs; One-year trial basis of halting the program...
- Measuring English proficiency. Sindlinger, Matthew // Business Mexico;Jun1994, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p31
Reports on the use of the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) for employees in Mexico. Discussion of the increasing requirement for English language fluency for employees; Standards of fluency in the TOEIC; Use of score profiles for screening employees.
- Computerizing an English language placement test. Fulcher, Glenn // ELT Journal: English Language Teaching Journal;Oct99, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p289
Focuses on the computerization of an English language placement test for delivery on the World Wide Web. Comparison on the reliability between paper-and-pencil test and computer-based test (CBT); Questions on the implementation of CBT; Advantages of CBT; Impact of CBT on teachers and students.
- Exams Divided by a Common Language. // Language Magazine;Nov2010, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p12
The article reports on the global promotion of the Michigan English language examinations collaborated by the University of Cambridge English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Examinations and the University of Michigan English Language Institute Testing and Certification Division.
- Officials Arrest 64 in Alleged Student Testing Fraud. Siskind, Gregory // Venulex Legal Summaries;2002 Q2, p1
The article reports on the arrest of 64 people who were allegedly engaged in a fraudulent scheme to pass English examinations which are being given in order to be allowed to study in the U.S. Officials from the U.S. Educational Testing Services believe that more arrests are possible. It is said...
- Georgia vs. Harcourt: Round 2 of Scoring Bout. // Educational Marketer;7/8/2002, Vol. 33 Issue 20, p5
Focuses on the problem the Georgia state Dept. of Education encountered with standardized test scorer San Antonio, Texas-based Harcourt Educational Measurement. Assessment of student progress; Option to use norm-referenced achievement tests at school districts.