Texas Begins Processing Orders For Social Studies, Pre-K Adoption
- Project methods in the social studies. Ediger, Marlow // College Student Journal;Sep97, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p418
Provides a model in teaching social studies. Project method as a an activity centered curriculum; Students as active participant, rather than passive recipient of information; Social studies teacher as a guide, stimulator and resource person not a dispenser of subject matter.
- Democracy and the social studies. Ediger, Marlow // Journal of Instructional Psychology;Sep95, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p210
Reviews different schools of thought in teaching social studies. Emphasis on democracy and democratic living; Sharp disagreements in educational thinking; Need for clear and distinct ideas.
- Social studies in today's schools. Bogoliubov, L.N.; Ivanova, L.F. // Russian Social Science Review;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p32
Assesses the social studies education in contemporary Russian schools. Need for the creation of a new social studies course; Goals of the social-science education; New methodological principles and the old social science course; Stages of movement toward increasingly concrete, theory-based...
- Social studies: Educational tools for diverse learners. Carnine, Douglas; Bean, Rita // School Psychology Review;1994, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p428
Examines the educational tools for teaching social studies to diverse learners. Historical overview of social studies; Emergence of reform efforts; Description of social studies instructional practices; Attributes of social studies learning tools.
- A case for social studies. Wassermann, S. // Phi Delta Kappan;Jun92, Vol. 73 Issue 10, p793
Discusses the case teaching instructional approach. Background; Teaching by the case method; Organizing instruction; Training teachers to teach with cases; Debriefing; Staff development; The Centennial project.
- Controversy predicted over N.Y. social-studies framework. Diegmueller, Karen // Education Week;6/21/95, Vol. 14 Issue 39, p9
Reports on New York State education officials' release of the state's framework for teaching of social-studies. Description of the guidelines; Debate on the incorporation of ethnicities into the social-studies framework; Education experts' comments.
- Elementary social studies. Tice, Terrence N. // Education Digest;Oct93, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p49
Ponders whether the dismal reports in social studies instruction reflect actual classroom practice. Results of a report from a survey of 3,000 midwestern first- to third-grade teachers; Study by Judith M. Finkelstein, Lynn E. Nielsen and Thomas Switzer in the February 1993 issue of `Social...
- Teaching and learning in the social studies. // Teaching Pre K-8;Oct92, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p56
Offers guidelines developed by the National Council for the Social Studies on ways teachers can make social studies powerful in the classroom. It should be integrated; It should be active; Value-based.
- KIDS LEND A HAND. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4 (Teacher's Edition);10/15/2001, Vol. 64 Issue 7, p3
Presents a guide to teaching social studies.