Top 25 Recipients of U.S. Department of Education Reading First State Grants 2002-2004
- grants & gifts. // Community College Week;11/28/2011, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p34
The article offers news briefs on the Verizon's innovative Check Into Literacy Program and on the federal grant received by the Edgecombe Community College in North Carolina for job training and workforce development in manufacturing.
- Controversy surrounds Reading First. Postlewaite, Charlotte Cornell // State Government News;Jun2003, Vol. 46 Issue 6, p18
Focuses on the problems faced by states in applying for the Reading First federal grant program in the U.S. Purpose of the program; Amount appropriated for distribution in states; Reason behind the slow approval process in funded and unfunded states.
- Clarke grabs LEA powers. // Education (14637073);2/14/2003, Issue 91, p3
Focuses on the power of British Education Secretary Charles Clarke to direct the Local Education Authority to pass money on to schools in Great Britain. Powers of the Secretary of State under the Education Act of 2002; Requirements of the Local Education Authority.
- The Dollar Difference. Marina, Anita // NEA Today;Feb2002, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p26
Presents information on the Hartford County Reading Excellence Act program in Maryland which is funded by federal grant for literacy programs. Features of the program; Elementary schools which served the poorest children in the county; Difference of the Hartford County Act from other literacy...
- IRA survey examines process for Reading First applications. // Reading Today;Feb/Mar2003, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p1
Reports on the International Reading Association's review of grant applications for the Reading First initiative by the state government as of February 2003. Purpose of the Reading First initiative; Areas of concern for the grant application processes.
- O.E.R.I. Increases Field-Initiated Research Grants. Rothman, Robert // Education Week;9/12/1990, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p20
The article reports that the U.S. Education Department has increased the number and dollar amount of awards for field-initiated research. Research topics that will be awarded grants for 1990 are mentioned, such as literacy instruction. Data is given on total number of grants that will be awarded...
- 6 States Win Striving Readers Grants. GEWERTZ, CATHERINE // Education Week;9/14/2011, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p5
The article reports that several U.S. states including Pennsylvania, Louisiana, and Georgia have been awarded federal funding to initiate comprehensive reading and literacy programs for birth through twelfth grade education under the federal Striving Readers grant program for literacy education.
- Coalition Urges the Next President To Lead National Literacy Efforts. // Education Week;9/21/1988, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p2
The article reports on the recommendation of a coalition of reading and literacy groups that the next U.S. president should lead in the national literacy campaign by providing financial support to state, local, and private literacy efforts. They also recommended the establishment of a national...
- Story of the Week. // Children & Youth Funding Report;2/25/2011, p1
The article reports that the budget cuts of 60 billion dollars for fiscal year (FY) 2011 which ends on September 30, 2011 includes five billion dollars in reductions at the U.S. Department of Education. The cuts include elimination of the Even Start family literacy program, Striving Readers, and...