- Highlight of the year. Segreti, John // Patient Care;1/15/1998, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p102
Presents a study entitled `The Effect of Changes in the Consumption of Macrolide Antibiotics on Erythromycin Resistance in Group A Streptocci in Finland,' by H. Seppala, T. Klaukka, J. Vuopio-Varkila in the 1997 issue of the N Engl J Med.
- Macrolide Therapy of Group A Streptococcal Pharyngitis: 10 Days of Macrolide Therapy (Clarithromycin) Is More Effective in Streptococcal Eradication than 5 Days (Azithromycin). Kaplan, Edward L.; Gooch III, W. Manfred; Notario, Gerard F.; Craft, J. Carl // Clinical Infectious Diseases;6/15/2001, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p1798
Presents a study which compared recommended doses of two oral macrolide antibiotics for eradicating group A streptococci from the throats of individuals with symptomatic pharyngitis and a positive throat culture. Patients; Study design and protocol; Microbiological evaluation; Results.
- The roles of the newer macrolide antibiotics in treating community-acquired pneumonia. Segreti, John // Modern Medicine;Oct94, Vol. 62 Issue 10, p30
Evaluates the efficacy of macrolide antibiotics clarithromycin and azithromycin in treating community-acquired pneumonia. Organisms that cause community-acquired pneumonia; Symptoms of community-acquired pneumonia; Pharmacokinetic differences; Efficacy comparisons.
- Antibiotic resistance a growing problem in acne tx. Wickware, Potter // Dermatology Times;Sep97 Supplement, Vol. 18 Issue 9, pS12
Reports that Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes and Propionibacterium acnes exhibits decrease in sensitivity to macrolide antibiotics. Features and effectivity of the macrolides; Suggestions and recommendations of James Leyden in treatment of infection.
- Ciprofloxacin, clarithromycin are comparable for bronchitis attacks. Anzueto, Antonio // Modern Medicine;Dec97, Vol. 65 Issue 12, p43
Compares the efficacy of quinolone ciprofloxacin and macrolide clarithromycin in the treatment of severe exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. Higher improvement rate on patients under ciprofloxacin treatment; Increase on the eradication of pathogens responsible for infection on ciprofloxacin...
- TIW azithromycin effective acne rosacea treatment. Guttman, Cheryl // Dermatology Times;Jun2001, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p24
Reports on the efficacy of the macrolide antibiotic azithromycin in treating acne rosacea. Dosage; Treatment regimen; Duration of treatment; Properties of azithromycin; Side effects.
- Focus on dirithromycin: A new once-daily macrolide antibiotic. Sharma, Roopali; Kramer, Marty // Formulary;Dec95, Vol. 30 Issue 12, p769
Focuses on the macrolide antibiotic called dirithromycin. Chemistry and pharmacology; Microbiology; Pharmacokinetics; Skin and skin structure infections; Streptococcal pharyngitis; Acute and chronic bronchitis; Pneumonia; Adverse effects; Drug interactions; Dosing and administration. INSET:...
- Using macrolide antibiotics. // Patient Care;9/15/1997, Vol. 31 Issue 14, p49
Focuses on the uses of macrolide antibiotics as a therapy for childhood infections, while referencing the uses and limitations of clarithromycin and azithromycin. Case study of a seven year old who was experiencing fever, headaches and other painful symptoms and was treated with macrolide...
- DIFICID. // Nurse Practitioners Prescribing Reference;Fall2011, Vol. 18 Issue 3, pA-10
The article offers brief information on the Dificid selective macrolide antibiotic from Optimer Pharmaceuticals Inc.