- Are we running out of antibiotic options for acne? Henahan, John F. // Dermatology Times;Jan1996, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p15
Questions whether the choices of antibiotics for acne is running out. Dermatologists' predictions; Acne resistance problems; Findings of a study conducted;
- Absorbable, delayed-release antibiotic beads reduce... Galandiuk, Susan; Wrightson, William R. // American Surgeon;Sep97, Vol. 63 Issue 9, p831
Evaluates the effectiveness of absorbable, polyglycolic acid (PGA) beads as a vehicle for local antibiotic delivery. Materials and method used; Result of the study; Effect of surgical wound infection; Determination of antibiotic concentration.
- Prophylactic antibiotics may not be good idea. Serdarevic, Olivia N. // Ophthalmology Times;09/15/96, Vol. 21 Issue 24, p12
Looks at why the prophylactic addition of antibiotics to irrigating solutions for cataract surgery may prove to be useless. Studies on this issue; Quick turnover of aqueous humor as a reason for this conclusion; Potential risks of toxicity and drug-resistant infections.
- Complicated Appendicitis: Is There a Minimum Intravenous Antibiotic Requirement: A Prospective Randomized Trial. Taylor, Edward; Shah, Darshan; Festekjian, Jaco; Gaw, Felix // American Surgeon;Sep2000, Vol. 66 Issue 9, p887
The proper duration of postoperative intravenous (IV) antibiotics in patients suffering complicated (perforated or gangrenous) appendicitis is debatable. Some advocate a set minimum number of IV antibiotic days whereas others discontinue IV antibiotics depending on the patient's clinical course...
- Overprescribing antibiotics creating `superbugs' // USA Today Magazine;Oct96, Vol. 125 Issue 2617, p4
Reports that overprescribing of broad-spectrum antibiotics has led to a sharp rise on antibiotic-resistant pathogens. Drug resistance increasing among viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites; Measures hospitals are taking to curb overprescribing of antibiotics.
- Antibiotics at Risk. // British Medical Journal;6/14/1975, Vol. 2 Issue 5971, p582
Examines the risk of antibiotics among man in Great Britain. Usefulness of chloramphenicol; Importance of animal sources of R factors for man; Change in the ecology of the enterobacteria and other organisms.
- Off the Record kills the Pain, Too. // Advocate;11/29/79, Issue 281, p14
Reports on the effectiveness of Seminalplasmin, an antibiotic found in semen.
- Killer microbes. Cromwell, Sharon // Current Science;1/12/96, Vol. 81 Issue 9, p4
Reports that a number of patients are suffering infections that do not respond to common antibiotics. Development of supergerms; Methods by which bacteria develop resistance; Consequence of the misuse, underuse and overuse of antibiotics; Drugs developed against Staphylococcus aureus;...
- When Antibiotics fail to work. Spencer, Peter L. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Oct95, Vol. 78 Issue 10, p10
Reports that the public authorities in the Unites States are concerned about the developing resistance to the current arsenal of antibiotics. Study on bacterial infections; Increasing threat; Cases of infections.