- The impact of pre-transplant dialysis on simultaneous pancreasâ€“kidney versus living donor kidney transplant outcomes. Wiseman, Alexander C.; Huang, Edmund; Kamgar, Mandana; Bunnapradist, Suphamai // Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Apr2013, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p1047
Background Pre-transplant dialysis is known to affect kidney graft survival. Here, we report the impact of pre-transplant dialysis on patient and graft survival of type 1 diabetic recipients of either a simultaneous pancreasâ€“kidney (SPK) or living donor kidney (LDK) transplant. Methods...
- New Kidney Allocation System. Hampton, Tracy // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;1/27/2015, Vol. 313 Issue 4, p346
The article reports on the changes proposed by the by the U.S. Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) Kidney Transplantation Committee to the U.S. kidney allocation system and presents views of Richard Formica Jr. of the OPTN Kidney Transplantation Committee on the same.
- Transplanting a miracle. Burton, Michael; Campbell, Kelly // Countdown;Winter96, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p16
Focuses on combined kidney and pancreas transplantation for patients with diabetes. Story of diabetics Michael Skelton and Deborah Butterfield; Kidney transplantation as the treatment of choice for end-stage diabetic nephropathy; Arguments for and against the pancreas/kidney transplants;...
- Combined kidney-pancreas transplantation. Hricik, Donald E.; Cohen, Jordan J.; Harrington, John T.; Madias, Nicolaos E.; Zusman, Cheryl J. // Kidney International;Apr1998, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p1091
Describes a case of combined kidney and pancreas transplantation in a patient with diabetes mellitus in Cleveland, Ohio. Determination of serum creatinine concentration; Development of peripancreatic abscess; Decrease in urinary amylase excretion.
- How they're doing now. // Countdown;Winter98, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p26
Presents a follow-up on two diabetes patients who received kidney-pancreas transplants. Improvement in transplant recipients' quality of life; Reduction of the patients' dependence on insulin; Effectiveness of the immunosuppressive regimen followed by Deborah Butterfield; Michael Skelton's...
- Enteric Drainage Associated with Fever Complications. // Kidney;Jul/Aug98, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p171
Presents a summary of the article 'Long-Term Pancreas Allograft Outcome in Simultaneous Pancreas-Kidney Transplantation: A Comparison of Enteric and Bladder Drainage,' by R.D. Bloom, L. Rehman et al published in 'Transplantation' periodical.
- In Defense of a Regulated Market in Kidneys from Living Vendors 1. Hippen, Benjamin // Journal of Medicine & Philosophy;Dec2005, Vol. 30 Issue 6, p593
The current system of organ procurement which relies on donation is inadequate to the current and future need for transplantable kidneys. The growing disparity between demand and supply is accompanied by a steep human cost. I argue that a regulated market in organs from living vendors is the...
- Aspectos quirï¿½rgicos de la donaciï¿½n de vivo. Felip, Mireia Musquera; Cus�, Llu�s Peri; Asensio, Antonio Alcaraz // Nefrologia;2010, Vol. 30 Issue S2, p71
Laparoscopic living donor nephrectomy has shown less morbidity than the open approach, with less pain and analgesia requirements and allowing a quicker recovery and an earlier return to normal activity. Furthermore, many studies have shown equivalent results between both approaches in terms of...
- OPTN selects four of top transplant programs in US for PKD pilot program. // Transplant News;Mar2010, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p3
The article reports on the selection of four transplant programs in the U.S. that have experience in kidney paired donation (KPD) to enroll patients and living donors in a pilot program to be conducted by the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTNP/United Network for Organ Sharing...