- Managing childhood asthma. Kohen, D. // Children Today;Mar/Apr87, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p6
A biobehavioral approach, called relaxation/mental imagery (self-hypnosis) for the management of childhood asthma. Case studies of the technique; value of self-hypnosis; discusses asthma in children; statistics; physical, emotional, financial costs; morbidity; asthmatic triggers.
- Long-acting beta agonist provides long-term asthma control. // Modern Medicine;Nov94, Vol. 62 Issue 11, p68
Presents an article entitled `Salmeterol Xinafoate as Maintenance Therapy Compared With Albuterol in Patients With Sthma,' by G.E. D'Alonzo, R.A. Nathan, S. Henochowicz, et al. on the May 11, 1994 issue of the `Journal of American Medical Association,' about the effectiveness of salmeterol...
- New precautions for salmeterol. // Modern Medicine;Mar95, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p27
Reports on the revision of warnings and precautions on the use of salmeterol xinafoate in managing asthma. Indications; Avoidance of use for treatment of acute symptoms; Substitution for corticosteroids.
- Could you teach patients to use an inhaler? // RN;May93, Vol. 56 Issue 5, p21
Reports on asthmatic patients, doctors' and nurses' knowledge in the use of a metered-dose inhaler as discussed in Arch. Intern. Med., 153(1), 81, by B. Interiano and K.K. Guntupalli. Procedure to use an inhaler.
- Assault on asthma. Portyansky, Elena // Drug Topics;7/21/97, Vol. 141 Issue 14, p53
Presents information on asthma, which is a respiratory disease. Role of inflammatory cells, mediators, and cells; Definition of asthma as a chronic inflammatory disorder of the airways; Information on the management of asthma in adults, and children over five-years-old; Suggestions for reducing...
- Clinical Q & A. Cicero, Lorraine A.; Nathan, Joseph P.; Rosenberg, Jack M. // Drug Topics;5/18/98, Vol. 142 Issue 10, p28
Questions the role of antileukotrienes in the management of asthma. Information on asthma; How asthma is characterized; When leukotriene modifiers are recommended; Inclusions in potential uses of leukotriene modifiers; Adverse reactions reported by the use of the modifiers.
- Asthmatics can breathe easier. // Consumer Reports on Health;Jul95, Vol. 7 Issue 7, p83
Informs about the importance of drug therapy for asthma patients and presents certain guidelines to make sure that it is done properly.
- Asthma medication's effects on behavior. // Child Health Alert;Jun92, Vol. 10, p3
States that many parents whose children have asthma believe that a common asthma medication, theophylline, causes undesirable mood and behavior changes in their children. Study of 42 children with mild to moderate asthma; Comparison of theophylline with placebo; Results; Report in the May 20,...
- Characteristics of general practices that prescribe appropriately for asthma. Sturdy, Patricia; Naish, Jeannette // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);12/9/95, Vol. 311 Issue 7019, p1547
Explores the possible influence of the general practitioner, the practice and the practice population in appropriately prescribing bronchodilator as treatment for asthma in Great Britain. Prophylaxis to bronchodilator prescribing ratio as a marker for appropriate prescribing; Implications of...
- Designing an asthma disease management program in a managed care environment. Martin, Robert E. // Formulary;Mar1997, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p269
Reports on designing an asthma disease management program in a managed care environment. Four steps of asthma treatment; Cost of medical and pharmacy incurred by asthma patients; Classification on severity of asthma; Development of intervention programs in managing asthma patients.