- A case-control study of oral epithelial proliferative markers among Sudanese Toombak dippers using micronuclei assay, argyrophilic nucleolar organizer region, Papanicolaou and crystal violet methods. Abbas, Anass M.; Ahmed, Hussain G. // Rare Tumors;2013, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p109
The use of Toombak has been reported to play a major role in the etiology of oral cancer in Sudan. The cellular proliferative activity on the oral epithelium of 210 Toombak dippers was assessed by applying the micronuclei frequency, mean argyrophilic nucleolar organizer region (AgNOR) counts,...
- Smoking Is Associated with Shortened Airway Cilia. Leopold, Philip L.; O'Mahony, Michael J.; Lian, X. Julie; Tilley, Ann E.; Harvey, Ben-Gary; Crystal, Ronald G. // PLoS ONE;2009, Vol. 4 Issue 12, p1
Background: Whereas cilia damage and reduced cilia beat frequency have been implicated as causative of reduced mucociliary clearance in smokers, theoretically mucociliary clearance could also be affected by cilia length. Based on models of mucociliary clearance predicting that cilia length must...
- HISTOLOGICAL CHANGES IN MALE ACCESSORY REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS IN RATS EXPOSED TO CIGARETTE SMOKE AND THE PROTECTIVE EFFECT OF HONEY SUPPLEMENTATION. Mohamed, Mahaneem; Sulaiman, Siti Amrah; Jaafar, Hasnan // African Journal of Traditional, Complementary & Alternative Medi;2012, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p329
The effect of cigarette smoke (CS) on histology of male accessory reproductive organs and the possible protective effect of honey supplementation in rats were investigated in this study. Rats received distilled water, honey, CS exposure or honey plus CS exposure. Honey (1.2 g/kg body weight/day)...
- Occurrence of bcl-2 oncogene translocation with increased frequency in the peripheral blood of... Bell, Douglas A.; Liu, Yafei // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;2/1/95, Vol. 87 Issue 3, p223
Investigates the occurrence of bcl-2 oncogene translocation with increased frequency in the peripheral blood of heavy smokers. Early detection of cells carrying oncogenic mutations; Detection of translocations by polymerase chain reaction; Mutation frequency in persons with different smoking...
- Smoking's effect on insulin sensitivity is rapidly reversible. // Modern Medicine;Sep95, Vol. 63 Issue 9, p34
Presents an abstract of the report `Increased level of hemoglobin A 1C, but not impaired insulin sensitivity, found in hypersensitive and normotensive smokers,' by P.M. Nilsson et. al. published on the May 1995 issue of `Metabolism'.
- Effect of cigarette smoking on coumarin metabolism in humans. Poland, Russell E.; Pechnick, Robert N.; Cloak, Christine C.; Wan, Yu-Jui Yvonne; Nuccio, Inocencia; Lin, Keh-Ming; Poland, R E; Pechnick, R N; Cloak, C C; Wan, Y J; Nuccio, I; Lin, K M // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Nov2000, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p351
Extant data, mostly from studies in vitro, suggest that coumarin and nicotine are both metabolized by CYP2A6, a cytochrome P450 isozyme. In order to investigate this issue further, the activity of this enzyme in vivo was measured in 37 non-smokers and 37 smokers using coumarin (2.0 mg, PO) as...
- Tell-tale signs of a chronic smoker. Chauhan, Vivek; Sharma, Rajesh; Thakur, Suman // Lung India;Jan-Mar2013, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p79
A letter to the editor is presented which discusses the clinical signs of smokers including stains in nails, lips, and teeth, burns in fingers and clothes, and skin changes such as premature wrinkling and Favre-Racouchot syndrome.
- Changes in Cardiopulmonary Functions Related to Abstinence from Smoking. Krumholz, Richard A.; Chevalier, Robert B; Ross, Joseph C. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Feb65, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p197
Evaluates the changes in the cardiopulmonary functions related to abstinence from smoking in a sample of young cigarette smokers. Lung volumes; Mechanics measurements; Pulmonary function studies in ten smokers before and after three weeks of abstinence from smoking.
- Effects of cigarette smoking on the evolution of hearing loss caused by industrial noise. Carmelo, Abbate; Concetto, Giorgianni; Agata, Zirilli; Antonietta, Tringali Maria; Graziella, D'Arrigo; Renato, Brecciaroli; Adriana, Abbate; Luigi, Salmaso // Health (1949-4998);Oct2010, Vol. 2 Issue 10, p1163
The few studies evaluating the changes caused by cigarette smoking on hearing loss induced by occupational exposure to noise have reached discordant conclusions. The aim of this study is to investigate the interactions between cigarette smoking and occupational exposure to noise as risk factors...