- An Overview of Respiratory Treatments for Individuals With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Cleary, Stuart; Richman-Eisenstat, Janice // Perspectives on Swallowing & Swallowing Disorders (Dysphagia);Mar2013, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p17
Given the limited life expectancy of individuals diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and the high likelihood that patients will suffer from a breathing difficulty and an encumbered airway, promoting the highest level in the ability to maintain an open and clear airway is of the...
- Home telemonitoring of non-invasive ventilation decreases healthcare utilisation in a prospective controlled trial of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Anabela Pinto // Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry;Nov2010, Vol. 81 Issue 11, p1238
BACKGROUND: Non-invasive ventilation (NIV) is an efficient method for treating respiratory failure in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). However, it requires a process of adaptation not always achieved due to poor compliance. The role of telemonitoring of NIV is not yet...
- Effects of non-invasive ventilation on objective sleep and nocturnal respiration in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Boentert, Matthias; Brenscheidt, Inga; Glatz, Christian; Young, Peter // Journal of Neurology;Sep2015, Vol. 262 Issue 9, p2073
In amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), non-invasive ventilation (NIV) is indicated if sleep-disordered breathing (SDB), daytime hypercapnia, or significant diaphragmatic weakness is present. We investigated both short-term and long-term effects of NIV on objective measures of sleep and...
- Insulin-like growth factor significantly improves symptoms... // Formulary;Jan1996, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p15
Reports that the recombinant human insulin-like growth factor appears to slow progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and improve functional ability according to the results of a survey. Side effects of drug; Dosage; Comment from Howard Natter, clinical assistant professor of...
- EXONHIT INITIATES PHASE II CLINICAL TRIAL FOR EHT 0201. // Worldwide Biotech;Dec2002, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p1
Reports on the launch by the company ExonHit Therapeutics of a clinical trial evaluating the effectiveness of EHT 0201 (pentoxyfylline) in patients suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- Doe v. Wilson. Salyer, David R. // Issues in Law & Medicine;Winter90, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p319
Presents a United States court ruling related to euthanasia in patients suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Case of patient Jane Doe who requested that her physician Dr. James P. Wilson disconnect her respirator; Consideration by Chancellor Allen High on previous legal precedents.
- Support services important component of Rilutek launch. Rodgers, Katie // Drug Topics;2/5/96, Vol. 140 Issue 3, p46
Reports on the planned launch of Rhone-Poulenc Rhorer's (RPR) Rilutek riluzole drug for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Patient support services; Background information; Implications; Plans and expectations.
- Diagnosing motor neurone disease. Chancellor, Andrew M. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);3/16/96, Vol. 312 Issue 7032, p650
Discusses diagnostic strategies for motor neurone disease. Symptoms; Dilemma faced by the physician in diagnosing motor neurone disease; Conditions that resemble idiopathic motor neurone disease.
- Motor neurone disease. Shneerson, John M. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/3/96, Vol. 313 Issue 7052, p244
Focuses on motor neurone disease. Deterioration of bulbar function; Pathogenesis; Complications.