- Prostate cancer forum issues call for action. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;07/01/97, Vol. 157 Issue 1, p9
Mentions Canada's National Prostate Cancer Forum. Statistics on prostate cancer; Financial costs of the disease; Recommendations from the forum.
- The PSA prostatic cancer test: Avoid an unnecessary biopsy. // HealthFacts;May92, Vol. 17 Issue 156, p1
Discusses screening for prostatic cancer and the increased use of a highly dubious screening test; Blood test that measures levels of prostate-specific antigen (PSA); The PSA test as part of routine testing for men without any symptoms of prostatic cancer; Concerns about the increased number of...
- The `watch and wait' approach to prostate cancer. // Medical Update;Jul94, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p1
Presents information on the option of `watchful waiting' for people who are suffering from prostate cancer. Guides for deciding between watchful waiting and definitive treatment.
- The cancer men don't talk about. Schardt, David // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Mar93, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p1
Reveals insights about prostate cancer. People prone to the cancer; How fat affects the prostate; Ways to detect a tumor; Early detection. INSET: The bottom line (information about prostate cancer)..
- Clues to prostate cancer. Liebman, Bonnie // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Mar96, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p12
Focuses on prostate cancer. Presence of prostate cancer cells in a large number of men who do not develop cancer; Lowering of prostate cancer risk by Lycopene, a carotenoid found in tomatoes; Low fat diet as lowering the presence of prostate specific antigen. INSET: The bottom line..
- `Prostate problems: Safe, simple, effective relief'. // Second Opinion;Jul96, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p7
Presents a preview of a report on prostate cancer. Medical establishment's role in frightening many healthy men with prostate problems into unnecessary drugs and surgery.
- New prostate screening method recommended. Dakutis, Peter // Cancer News;Summer92, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p14
Presents recommendations from researchers about using a combination of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and transrectal ultrasound (TRUS) to improve early detection of prostate cancer. Data from the American Cancer Society National Prostate Cancer Detection Project; Comments from Fred Lee, MD.,...
- Professional, personal concerns drive agenda. // Cancer News;Autumn92, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p2
Presents information about prostate cancer. Incidence of prostate cancer in United States last 1989; Tools used in determining prostate cancer; Information about controlling pain in prostate cancer; Factors that influenced the treatment of pain in prostate cancer; Mission statement of the...
- Prostate cancer in relation to diet, physical activity, and body size in Blacks, Whites, and... Whittemore, Alice S.; Kolonel, Laurence N. // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;5/3/95, Vol. 87 Issue 9, p652
Reports on a population-based case-control study of prostate cancer among blacks, whites, and Asian-Americans in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Hawaii, Vancouver and Toronto. Goal of evaluating the roles of diet, physical activity patterns, body size, and migration characteristics on risk in...
- Treating prostate cancer. // Consumer Reports on Health;Aug93, Vol. 5 Issue 8, p89
States that the treatment for prostate cancer might be worse than the disease. Surgery or radiation therapy; Aggressive treatment for old males may extend life briefly; Concluding that older men with slow-growing tumors would do better with a wait-and-see approach known as `watchful waiting';...