Physical medicine & rehabilitation
- Explaining pain. // Current Health 2;Feb1986, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p3
An explanation of what pain is, how it operates, and how it can be alleviated. Causes of pain; the path of the pain message; methods of alleviation. INSET: Be a brain on pain.;growing pains..
- What a pain!!! Understanding the causes and treatments of pain. Gloeckner, C. // Current Health 2;Mar1991, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p4
Examines the mechanisms of pain. The pain process; Pain as a warning to the body; Psychology of pain; Painkillers; Pain therapy. INSET: The pain process (diagram).;Pain clinics; A glossary of pain....
- What's an algologist? // Current Health 1;Nov92, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p2
Discusses the work of algologists, doctors who treat people who suffer from severe pain. National Pain Institute; `Algo,' the Greek word for pain; Why treating pain is difficult.
- The challenge of relieving pain. Stehlin, D. // FDA Consumer;Sep91, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p28
Discusses various drugs and treatments that help relieve pain. Everyday aches and pains; Acute pain from injury and surgery; Tolerance and addiction; Patient control; Chronic pain. INSET: Implantable pump administers morphine..
- New, non-invasive therapy for chronic pain patients. // Health News & Review;1992, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p10
Presents an excerpt from an interview with Robert E. Willner, M.D., Ph.D., who lectures extensively on colchicine therapy for back problems and is the author of the book `The Pleasure Principle Diet.' Excerpted from `Challenging Orthodoxy: America's Top Medical Preventives Speak Out!,' by Kurt...
- The Controlled Body. Chianese, R. // Humanist;Jan/Feb90, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p7
Examines the meaning of the voluntary pain and exhaustion we inflict on the body in the name of fitness. Relationship between the body and consciousness of self; Fitness training and social reform; Physical and social humanism.
- My painful fill of pain. Kiraly, Andrew // Las Vegas Business Press;2/27/95, Vol. 12 Issue 8, p4
Editorial. Describes the author's anguish at experiencing pain. Disappearance of pain after a trip to the doctor; Theory that because the pain goes away the condition does.
- Don't overlook pain in AIDS patients. Scholz, Mary J.; Hurley, Mary Lou // RN;Feb93, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p89
Recommends the treatment of pain encountered by AIDS patients. Assessment of pain; Percentage of treatable pain; Anatomic sites of pain; Forms of pain.
- Listen to your body. Stukane, E. // Redbook;Apr89, Vol. 172 Issue 6, p104
Discusses common problems, such as stiffness, sore joints, back pains and body aches, and advises on the possible causes. When to see a doctor. INSET: Rate your pain..
- The throbbing, pounding, aching, splitting headache. Houck, C. // Redbook;Jan92, Vol. 178 Issue 3, p22
Examines the causes of headaches and the different forms they take. Discusses relaxation techniques and ways to get relief from pain. Sex-induced headaches; Symptoms to take seriously; Children's headaches. INSET: Heroes of the headache world(Specialists in headache treatment....