Physical medicine & rehabilitation
- Polio turned summer into the season of fear. Haile, Bartee // Free Press (Buda, TX);5/ 8/2013, Vol. 111 Issue 6, p3C
The article focuses on the concern for polio in Texas.
- Initial conditions. Brown, Peter G. // Sciences;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p2
Presents the author's reflections on how the polio epidemic of the 1940s affected his family. Disabilities sustained by parents; Risks for post-polio syndrome; Worsening of symptoms.
- Polio redux. Dalakas, Marinos C.; Bartfeld, Harry // Sciences;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p30
Focuses on the post-polio syndrome (PPS). Symptoms experienced by survivors of the polio epidemic in the 1940s and 1950s; Clinical definition of PPS; Epidemiology; Body's compensation for loss of motor neurons; Development of muscle weakness and fatigue; Reduction of ability of nerve cells to...
- ProgrÃ¨s accomplis en vue de l'Ã©radication de la poliomyÃ©lite au Pakistan, janvier 2012-septembre 2013. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;11/22/2013, Vol. 88 Issue 47, p501
No abstract available.
- Forgotten but not gone. Radetsky, P. // Discover;Sep89, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p22
Describes how the oral polio vaccine, widely used around the world, has several weaknesses that can prevent immunity or cause the disease itself. Heat damage to the vaccine; `Herd immunity'; Recombinant vaccines; Need for further research and funding.
- Polio survivors may suffer swallowing problems. // Nutrition Health Review: The Consumer's Medical Journal;Summer91, Issue 59, p13
Reports that individuals who survived the polio epidemic of the 1950s in the United States are experiencing swallowing problems that could increase the risk of choking due to non-awareness of the post-polio syndrome surfacing after.
- Polio Eradication. // Presidents & Prime Ministers;Jul/Aug98, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p28
Reports that a 1998 meeting was held in Geneva, Switzerland, by members of the Global Technical Consultative Group on Polio Eradication. Factors which could affect efforts to eradicate polio; Comments from Dr. Bruce Aylward, of the World Health Organization's Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
- Progress toward poliomyelitis eradication--People's... // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;12/13/1996, Vol. 45 Issue 49, p1076
Describes the progress toward achievement of the eradication goal and the status of polio-eradication efforts in China during 1990 to 1996. When the use of oral poliovirus vaccine began; World Health Organization's involvement in polio-eradication efforts; Number of reported poliomyelitis cases...
- Polio eradicated. // Presidents & Prime Ministers;Mar/Apr98, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p33
Reports in 1998 on the progress made with the eradication of polio in the Western Pacific Region of the World Health Organization after an immunization campaign begun in 1993. Estimation on the number of persons the campaign reached; Comparison in cases reported in 1990 to those in 1996; How the...